Author Topic: Bav34, Mainsheet Traveller  (Read 2607 times)

newtom

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Bav34, Mainsheet Traveller
« on: August 20 2019, 05:34 »
Hello,
I think I had to replace the traveller car. Can you give me information if it is Rutgerson 32 mm or 50 mm on a Bav 34, 2001.
The U of the trav-car is frayed.
I m not near my boat.

Thanks
Thomas

Clivert

• Able Seaman
Re: Bav34, Mainsheet Traveller
« Reply #1 on: August 20 2019, 14:14 »
Have you tried dismantling the traveller and replacing the u section ?

newtom

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: August 20 2019, 15:01 »
not yet,
I didnot got the right tools on board,
everything but no torx >:(
I also didnt find the U sperate as a sparepart.

Boatname

« Reply #3 on: August 20 2019, 17:06 »
Hi, same boat, same year ... 32mm

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #4 on: August 20 2019, 19:07 »
If the width matches, a suitably sized U-bolt with the thread drilled out ought to do the job just fine.

That's some pretty dramatic wear by the way. May want to lash your boom down when the boat is not in use. Helps the gooseneck last longer too. We have a soft shackle connecting the traveller to the main sheet block, so there is almost no wear, and whatever there is is on the easily replaceable soft shackle instead.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #5 on: August 21 2019, 00:57 »
If the width matches, a suitably sized U-bolt with the thread drilled out ought to do the job just fine.

That's some pretty dramatic wear by the way. May want to lash your boom down when the boat is not in use. Helps the gooseneck last longer too. We have a soft shackle connecting the traveller to the main sheet block, so there is almost no wear, and whatever there is is on the easily replaceable soft shackle instead.

Yngmar,

If you happen to have a picture of your soft shackle set up, I'd like to see it.  I'm concerned about the boom swinging on my 35E, as well.  I didn't have this situation on my last boat.  Thanks in advance.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

Clivert

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: August 21 2019, 08:00 »
I would also try replacing with a shackle and agree with Yngmar about tying off the boom.
We have a line with a small shackle that hooks onto the boom and a loop and a clip that goes round the grab rail. We then pull the taveller across and this stops the boom swinging.
We only take it off when using the main.

newtom

• Cadet
« Reply #7 on: August 21 2019, 13:47 »
Hi @ all
thanks for your constructive input.

The U is available as a spare part for ex. by Gotthardt
Nr. RU-41-0008 for 12,90€

Ill fix the boom.

Regards Thomas

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #8 on: August 21 2019, 19:28 »
I would also try replacing with a shackle and agree with Yngmar about tying off the boom.
We have a line with a small shackle that hooks onto the boom and a loop and a clip that goes round the grab rail. We then pull the taveller across and this stops the boom swinging.
We only take it off when using the main.

Be aware that the grab rail is not all that strongly attached to the cabin top, I used to do the same as you until one day arriving at the boat where I found the port side grab rail was (fortunately), still attached to the rope from the boom, but no longer attached to the cabin top. I plugged the holes that the screws had left with GRP filler and gel coat and re-attached the rail in a slightly different position such that the screws were secured into previously undamaged GRP. The slight difference in position is not noticeable unless you look very closely.
As for preventing the boom from swinging, I now use the midship mooring cleats to secure the rope ends, and have had no further problems.

Also Yngmar is right about the gooseneck lasting longer, I bought the boat when it was eight years old and the gooseneck for the boom was replaced within the first month of ownership. The new gooseneck is now nine years old and is in excellent condition, and the only differences that I am aware of is that I usually tie the boom off, and that the boat has been kept on a swinging mooring for the last seven years where there are no tidal or other currents in the harbour as such, and in consequence the boat always lays head to wind so the boom gets less of a battering from the weather.

Clivert

• Able Seaman
« Reply #9 on: August 22 2019, 07:54 »
If the boom can't move it can't build up enough momentum to pull the grab rail out.
Maybe our 2001 34 was strongly built

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #10 on: August 22 2019, 14:52 »
Yes, and that’s the secret, to make sure that the boom can’t move. Just remember that when the wind is gusting across the deck at 40 to 70 knots or more, that the gusting force of the wind on the boom will cause it to tug and tug with each gust even though your securing was tight when you left it. Because the rope holding the boom comes down at an angle to the grabrails on the cabin top rather than being a straight horizontal pull, the forces acting on the grab rails are magnified and in addition there are now both a horizontal and a vertical component to that pull. Of course it’s your decision whether to pay any attention to someone else’s experience, so good luck with your choice. My previous posting on this subject was as much for others who may want to take a more prudent approach rather than risk lifting one or both grabrails.