Author Topic: Volvo D2 40 white smoke from exaust  (Read 1543 times)

Gilster

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 41
  • Boat Year: 2022
Volvo D2 40 white smoke from exaust
« on: April 12 2023, 10:18 »
Since I‘ve bought a used Bavaria Cruiser 41 in september 2022 by a dealer I have trouble with white smoke of my Volvo engine. The smoke develops normaly at 2.000 rpm, below very little smoke, at 2.300 rpm and over very much , so „everybody can see where I started my trip“. The dealer had checked the engine, all water inlets in the saildrive, the heat exchanger etc. I‘m not sure if it is the gasket of the cylinder bank or a problem with the cooling system itself ( the coolant inside the expansion tank stays at the same level. I do not know how to place a photo here. 

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Volvo D2 40 white smoke from exaust
« Reply #1 on: April 12 2023, 15:04 »
check your impeller, check your cooling filter, check your hoses, and unmount your exaustelbow. would be helpful to know which year of build the boat the engine and how many hours the engine have done

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: April 13 2023, 18:19 »
does the smoke smell of diesel or oil , or is it steam, that would give you some indication of the cause, also to add a photo hit the attachments button at the bottom left side of the page and add the file.

Gilster

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 41
  • Boat Year: 2022
« Reply #3 on: April 14 2023, 07:55 »
My dealer has checked and cleaned all parts of the engine like impeller, heat exchanger and so on. He says its just condensing water.  It does not smell like oil or diesel, but with the wind from the back there is a smell different from the exaust of my Yanmar engine of my trailer yacht. Sorry, i cannot find a correct discription, maybe like a „musty smell“. Could imagine it is the smell of burned coolant, the the level does not change really. But when I start the Volvo Penta, the level of the coolant in the tank goes dawn immediately.

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: April 16 2023, 23:39 »
Did the dealer take off the wet exhaust elbow? If the injector at the elbow is clogged (as mine was!) the water flow could be greatly reduced, meaning what water may come out as steam at higher revs?

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 19 2023, 13:46 »
Gilster,
Agree with Magical Armchair, it is most likely to be the exhaust elbow. Cooling sea water is injected to the exhaust elbow where it cools the exhaust gasses. This gets coated with coke (a hard deposit) which slows the cooling water flow. Recommend that you take it off and inspect/replace it.
The photo DSCN1126 is a blocked elbow and the DSCN1128 is a new clean one. You can see the ring opening where the water is injected.
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009