Author Topic: Rainwater in standing in the companionway hatch grooves - 2005 36' Cruiser  (Read 2297 times)

Harveyhall

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
After throughly chalking the companionway hatch cover, I am still unable to prevent rainwater from accumulating and running into the cockpit from the hatch groves.  I have only found one reference in Bavaria Yacht Info to this problem. Have other owners found this a problem and have you been successful in preventing the rainwater from running onto the cockpit floor?

Harvey

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
I have tried fixing this over the years, but only get a tempary restbite. I also have resealed the plate, especially the aft end by the spray hood, also used  crack sealer, and sealed the Channel with foam, but it still leaks water.

So anyone out has ACTUALLY fixed this problem let us know.

Odysseus
Odysseus

p_schurli

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 40
  • Boat Year: 2002
The water gathers in the grooves of the companionway sliding cover. I have simply put some sikaflex into these grooves. Now the water cannot run into the cockpit floor. Ofcourse I have some standing water in the forward part of the grooves. But no more than 1mm.
Bavaria 40 <Novara>

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Is your boat balanced fwd/aft? By design, the water should run out of the front drain channels under the sliding hatch garage, at least on our 40 Ocean. If the boat is however much heavier in the stern than in the bow, it will run the wrong way. Put more anchor chain in the bow!  :))
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)