Author Topic: Data wiring route from Nav table to Pedestal  (Read 1675 times)

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Data wiring route from Nav table to Pedestal
« on: August 10 2019, 10:45 »
Please can anyone suggest the best route for screened cable (Backbone) to go from the navigation table area to the cockpit instruments?

I have just purchased a Bavaria cruiser and want to install my AIS unit and other instruments in the navigation area.   I want them to 'talk and listen to the cockpit instruments?

I am new to the World of Bavaria and want to do a decent job on my new (secondhand) boat.

dgmultimedia

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 33
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Data wiring route from Nav table to Pedestal
« Reply #1 on: August 10 2019, 12:00 »
I have a 2007 Cruiser33 and have run several new cables from the Nav Station to the Binacle for Data and Remote VHF Mic the route its relatively obvious and easy to follow existing cable runs....

NMEA Data extension from Binacle Chartplotter to +Nav Station. -> NMEA multiplex/Splitter mounted behind Electrical Panel.
VHF second Handset multicore.
CO and LPG alarm sensor cables

Route follow existing cables down into Cabin below - there is a large access panel in the very low ceiling directly under the binacle - follow route to rear of cabin bulkhead ( transom area ) down and back along side the Central access chamber where the Exhaust and water heater is located up to the area of the sail drive then use a flat steel cable fishing tool to access the central area from the diesel tank access panel in the Lazarette pull cables to there and then follow the large bundle through the Heads bulkhead, behind the Sink cupboard and through the main cabin bulkhead to behind the Electrical panel next to the Nav Station - Job Done...

AIS GPS Puck - I put this on the Cabin roof next to the Saloon Hatch and ran the cable through under the headlining to the rear bulkhead across behind the curved GRP trim in above the Head door and into the Electrical area.

NO additional cutting or drilling needed ( apart from the fixings for the GPS Puck ) - a fair bit of contortion needed to reach all the under floor access holes...
Best of luck

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 10 2019, 15:26 »
Please can anyone suggest the best route for screened cable (Backbone) to go from the navigation table area to the cockpit instruments?

The broker's spec of your boat suggested there are SeaTalk instruments in the cockpit, so presumably you're wanting to run a SeaTalk cable to the chart table.  It's fiddly but perfectly possible.  Can I suggest that, while you doing it, you run a second cable suitable for NMEA2000 use?  This will help to future-proof your installation by making it much easier to update in years to come.

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: August 11 2019, 11:16 »
Thanks to both Dgmultimedia & Tiger79.