Author Topic: Raytheon RC320 Chart plotter non function  (Read 2229 times)

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Raytheon RC320 Chart plotter non function
« on: July 25 2019, 12:32 »
Please can anyone assist me?

I have just purchased a secondhand Bavaria sailboat fitted with a Raytheon RC320 chartplotter.

On attempts to power up the unit comes on when a finger is on the power button but immediately one's finger is removed, it shuts down.

As a retired electronic technician, I feel it is likely that the unit has an internal battery.   The boat has been unused for a couple of years so I feel this might be the problem.

Has anyone any input on this please?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
Re: Raytheon RC320 Chart plotter non function
« Reply #1 on: July 25 2019, 22:50 »
With the name “Raytheon” on it which was the name prior to them being renamed Raymarine and which was then taken over by the firms present American owners “Flir,” the one thing that is against you is the age of the instrument. It is going to be something in the order of twenty years old or more. The chances of being able to get it repaired for sensible money are likely to be few and far between such that in my opinion, and with you being an ex electronics technician, that you might as well open it up and see if you can fix it yourself.
My ex charter boat when I bought it back in 2010 came with a Raymarine RL70 plotter. The plotter had been much abused by those expert yachtsmen who didn’t have a boat of their own, but were more than prepared to charter a boat they knew nothing about, tell the owner how to look after his own boat and at the same time leave the instruments out in the rain and weather to fare for themselves and then complain that the screen was partly misted up with condensation. It too was getting on in years and had been superseded by colour chart plotters and by models with much better displays. When it went wrong I felt that there was nothing to be lost by opening it up myself, and I’m not an electronics person by any stretch of the imagination, though I knew enough at the time to realise that a couple of egg cups full of water sloshing around inside was arguably not the best stuff to have inside the plotter. It did go back to Raymarine, and they worked a miracle and kept it going for a further two years when I gave it away and purchased a new multifunction instrument that is so advanced by comparison.
So I think you might as well have a go yourself and if it still doesn’t work then you have lost nothing.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 25 2019, 23:15 »
As Salty says that model is nearly 20 years old. There is no reason for it to have an internal battery as it does not store anything. It gets its chart data from the chart cartridge and GPS data from the antenna. The instrument itself just manipulates the chart data for the display and allows the setup of waypoints which can then be used to control an autopilot.

By today's standards it is very basic and not worth spending any time or money on.

ICENI

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: July 26 2019, 10:04 »
Hi Salty and Symphony,

I thank you both for your replies and note your comments.

I agree with your comments about it's age and limitations.   The only consideration is that it is surface mounted in the 'nav' area and I dislike anything than is not functioning!   Maybe I will remove it and mount a nice audio system in the hole with appropriate trim.   I have a nice Garmin plotter anyway which is, as you say is much more up to date.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: July 26 2019, 13:26 »
Unfortunately the RC320 isn't in the widely distributed pack of service manuals (with circuit diagrams) that make the old Raymarine stuff of that era so very self-repairable. Since the button keeps it on only as long as pressed, it most likely is a fault in the latching circuit, which even without circuit diagrams you might be able to diagnose and fix. Give it a go before throwing it away, or put it on eBay as "for parts or repair" and let someone else try fixing it.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: July 26 2019, 19:56 »
Alternatively, search on eBay and see if you can pick up a functioning one to slot into the hole....

ICENI

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: August 04 2019, 10:47 »
Thanks Yngmar & Rampage.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: August 09 2019, 15:40 »
Not familiar with it but does the RC320 store waypoints? If so then it almost certainly has a small battery. I have an old Furuno GP1850 that went similarly weird on me a couple of years ago and a local marine electronics chap (Plymouth area) sorted it for a couple of quid - duff battery. Worth seeing if there's anyone like that in your area...
ATB

Mark

ICENI

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: August 10 2019, 10:48 »
Thanks Markthebike.