Author Topic: Fuel Tank Venting  (Read 2798 times)

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Fuel Tank Venting
« on: July 14 2019, 19:31 »
Anyone got any bright ideas on how to improve venting whilst filling? It's embarrassing how long it takes if you don't want an 'eruption' from the filler pipe. When filling too fast it goes like a volcano and the fuel comes out of the vent pipe as well so that's not blocked  >:(
Fill too slowly and the tank fills with foam too!

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Fuel Tank Venting
« Reply #1 on: July 14 2019, 19:34 »
You can hear the difference in sound as the tank approaches full, I tend to pause the filling for a few seconds then, let the foamy stuff subside a little, then let the final few litres dribble in slowly.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: July 15 2019, 19:06 »
You can hear the difference in sound as the tank approaches full, I tend to pause the filling for a few seconds then, let the foamy stuff subside a little, then let the final few litres dribble in slowly.

Yes,unless there is a lot of background noise and then you can't hear it at all  ::) Also, most times when you can hear it rising it is too late  :-[

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 15 2019, 21:39 »
What you describe is just the reality of the design. Flat fuel tank, convoluted filler hose run and small diameter vent means that foaming diesel has nowhere to vent easily. The only solution (and not practical) is to replace the tank with one that is taller, has a direct vertical filler and a large diameter vent. I have exactly the same problem with filling my Morgan which suffers from the same design deficiencies of a Bavaria tank. My solution with my Bavaria is to fill from 20L containers of white diesel from Tesco. Suits me as I only use around 100L a year.

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: July 16 2019, 06:04 »
I had this problem on 2001 34.
Check the vent pipe.
Ours had developed a kink where it loops up to prevent water ingress.

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: July 18 2019, 11:23 »
I forgot to mention that we have had no problems since taking the kink out of the vent pipe.
It is small but it is only an air vent so doesn't need to be any bigger.
Make sure there is no corrosion or salt build up on the skin fitting