Author Topic: Whining in reverse  (Read 3747 times)

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Whining in reverse
« on: July 09 2019, 15:55 »
I have just relaunched after replacing the sail drive diaphragm as well as the damper unit. I’m experiencing a high pitched whine when I engage reverse, both when moving backwards as well as when tied and the drive in astern. The whine increases the higher the revs. No other unusual noise and perfectly smooth in forward. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Whining in reverse
« Reply #1 on: July 09 2019, 16:33 »
Did you check that the oil is still present in the saildrive?

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: July 10 2019, 05:30 »
It’s all there, it took 3.5 litres instead of 3lt owing to the removal of the gearbox. There is no whining in forward at all.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 10 2019, 14:26 »
Okay, it was just a thought, and another one is whether the gear shift cable was disconnected during the operation, and whether it had been correctly re-set once the saildrive was back in place. If the job was done by boatyard staff, it could be worthwhile to complain and say that the system makes an unusual noise while in reverse. On my boat when in neutral the gear shift lever on the saildrive points transversely port and starboard across the boat where it is at 90 degrees to the fore and aft line. I’m just wondering whether in reverse if the set up is not correct, whether a “not fully engaged reverse gear” would make the noise you have mentioned, or whether a reverse gear selector under excess pressure from the gear lever might make that noise.

It’s also worth checking around the engine if you had boatyard staff do the seal change, to ensure that all is exactly back in place as it should be. On mine the yard staff managed to reconnect the alternator incorrectly, and fortunately for me it was noticed pretty much straight away as the tachometer had stopped working. Fortunately too I’d taken several photos of areas that might get disturbed during the job and had a photographic record of where the alternator wires should have been connected.

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: July 11 2019, 18:01 »
Thank you for your valid suggestion Salty. This morning I uncoupled the cable and moved the selection lever by hand all the way either side but the whining in reverse remained.
As I carried out the maintenance work myself I suppose next step will be to seek some professional advice ☹️

dgmultimedia

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 33
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: July 17 2019, 08:02 »
I have just relaunched after replacing the sail drive diaphragm as well as the damper unit. I’m experiencing a high pitched whine when I engage reverse, both when moving backwards as well as when tied and the drive in astern. The whine increases the higher the revs. No other unusual noise and perfectly smooth in forward. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Did you remove the prop? or dismantle the lower shaft to replace seal or bearing?
Could it be that a spacer has been left out or clearance on a rope cutter is incorrect..

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: July 18 2019, 15:47 »
One has to remove the prop as well as the prop shaft and oil to draw the sail drive up into the boat.
The seals were replaced and the spacer went back in place when I re-assembled the drive. I don't have a rope cutter. Raph

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 19 2019, 10:05 »
You sure it's not just the wife?

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: July 19 2019, 14:38 »
 HaHa IslandAlchemy in that case whining will be in forward not in little used reverse!

I'm now thinking perhaps it's a gear box component that is being loaded slightly differently to the way it was before I did the job. I'm told its unlikely there is cause for alarm.
Fingers crossed therefore as I have no intention of doing the job again, at least not in this lifetime!
Raph.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: July 19 2019, 15:42 »
. . . I'm told its unlikely there is cause for alarm.

I’m half inclined to think you are right, reverse gear is not used anywhere near as much as forward gear and if it was something significant then its odds on that by now it would have done its worst.

It is often possible to listen to different parts of the machinery using a useful length and thickness of wood where you place one end against the part you want to listen to, rather like a stethoscope, and your ear against the other. With the engine running and in gear you can listen in to different parts and this can help to narrow down the source of the noise. Only problem is that most of the saildrive is under water so you might need to hold your breath !!

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 19 2019, 16:55 »

It is often possible to listen to different parts of the machinery using a useful length and thickness of wood
[/quote]

That's how I usually listen to the wife.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: July 19 2019, 18:30 »
Well I just hope she doesn’t read this thread, ‘cos if she does your nether regions will get toasted 🥴

Harry Brown

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #12 on: July 20 2019, 07:21 »
Did you paint the prop? Obviously did. It's probably prop singing. Happens on mine and as the paint wears away, so does the whining.

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #13 on: July 21 2019, 06:25 »
No, I don’t paint the prop. Just give it a good polish.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #14 on: July 21 2019, 08:57 »

That's not a 'good' polish!!.... that's a work of art.....very impressed.....(is that really your prop???)...Ours is also a 3 bladed folding Volvo but never looks like that......Bill

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #15 on: July 22 2019, 15:39 »
Yes it is my prop and its very easy to polish it as long as it has never been abraded.
I descale the individual bronze parts in white vinegar, rinse all traces of vinegar with water and liquid soap and polish with Autosol or a similar metal polish. To keep the bronze shiny cover in stretch and seal till its time to launch (or put it on show in your living room).

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #16 on: July 22 2019, 16:05 »
Yes it is my prop and its very easy to polish it as long as it has never been abraded.
I descale the individual bronze parts in white vinegar, rinse all traces of vinegar with water and liquid soap and polish with Autosol or a similar metal polish. To keep the bronze shiny cover in stretch and seal till its time to launch (or put it on show in your living room).

Man, I'd stick an old Ali Volvo one back on and keep THAT on my sideboard. Beautiful.
ATB

Mark

Harry Brown

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #17 on: July 22 2019, 17:30 »

Wow! I'd be afraid to use that!!  ;D