Author Topic: How to restore wood surfaces (finish) inside the boat  (Read 1147 times)

tadej.mezek

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: B44
  • Boat Year: 2002
How to restore wood surfaces (finish) inside the boat
« on: November 12 2023, 11:40 »
HI

I would like to ask if anyone have tried to restore wood surfaces inside the boat. I own B44 (2002) and certain surfaces are not very nice (entrance and saloon). For some surfaces I am sure it is not wood it is "furnier". Have anyone restored surfaces to close to new finish and if so, how. Anyone used waxes or so to fill in the cracks etc?
I am not on the boat at present time so that would be able to take pictures of how some surfaces look like.
Any thoughts, help appreciated.

Regards, Ted

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: How to restore wood surfaces (finish) inside the boat
« Reply #1 on: November 12 2023, 13:18 »
Ted ,I have used semi gloss lacquer [from Lidl but available anywhere] As long as the wood is smooth it is a very good match for the sapele veneer finish on early 2000s boats Geoff

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: November 12 2023, 14:39 »
Small damaged areas/scratches you can fix easily by wiping varnish on with a paper towel, wiping off any excess from the still good parts. This worked surprisingly well.

If it's too damaged or faded, it's scraping it off and re-varnishing. We did the companionway steps that way (hauling them out and lashing under the stenr arch). The Ronseal Yacht Varnish is a good match visually, but if you're living on the boat I'd avoid any sort of synthethic varnish in the interior because it stinks like poison chemicals for months. Therefore the second time around we used Le Tonkinois + Gelomat matting agent, which smelled nice and is all happy hippy plant stuff. The only problem was, the finish looked nicer than the original ;D
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 12 2023, 19:12 »
I also used Ronseal but satin finish. However is the original is faded or water damaged you will need to  strip it back and possibly use a coloured dye to bring it back to match the original. Avoid heavy sanding as although the face veneer is quite tough it is not very thick.