Author Topic: New tool shelf  (Read 2784 times)

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
New tool shelf
« on: June 26 2019, 15:49 »
Fitted a new tool shelf in the engine compartment. If there is need to get access its easily removable. Will fit LED strips on the engine side to get perfect illumination. 

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
Re: New tool shelf
« Reply #1 on: June 28 2019, 02:44 »
That looks like an interesting mod

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: June 29 2019, 17:27 »
Personally I will not make such a mod - although the shelf is removable, I would not want any obstruction in case of emergency.
Then there is the issue of high temperatures - not ideal for what seems to be a battery operated tool (blue case).
Not sure if this mod affects air circulation in the engine compartment (assume it does but do not know if this is an issue)
One thing I hope was checked - the access hole for the extinguisher should be below the shelf.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #3 on: June 29 2019, 19:45 »
With regard to air circulation, is the engine not water cooled? I can’t see how air circulation is relevant. There’s no direct ducts to the engine bay as far as I can see.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: June 30 2019, 04:47 »
.........There’s no direct ducts to the engine bay as far as I can see.

The lazarette connects to the area under the bunks in both aft cabins on my B36(2002) and that leads on into the engine bay. Air intakes fitted in the lazarette therefore feeds through below the bunks to the engine compartment, so there is an indirect air feed which arguably could be better.
A friend has a B37(2000 - 2004 not too sure) and he has vents fitted on either side of the companionway door port and starboard and just on the cockpit side of the door but where there is a feed direct into the engine compartment. I don’t know whether that was a builder fit or retrofitted by a previous owner.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
« Reply #5 on: June 30 2019, 12:18 »
There are original  ducts from the air-intake in the  lazarette to the engine compartment, which lead the combustion air for the engine . There is no exhaust for the warm air in the cabinet.  But it´s true, the tools on the shelf get a little bit heated, so we don´t store any electric devices on the shelf, and we don´t have an access hole for the extinguisher, but a stationary extinguishing system (fitted by previous owner).