Author Topic: Assymetric cruising chute  (Read 2452 times)

1simon

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
Assymetric cruising chute
« on: June 22 2019, 19:19 »
HI  All,

I am thinking of buying an assymetric cruising spinnaker (  w/snuffer) on my Bavaria Ocean 38.

Does anyone have any  experience of this?

regards

Simon

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Assymetric cruising chute
« Reply #1 on: June 22 2019, 20:44 »
We have a cruising chute on our 38.  When bought it didn’t have a snuffer and was difficult to manage: bought a snuffer and it’s very easy to manage with 2.  Long sheets needed (like 2 and a half boat lengths) to be able to gybe it.

We use the aft cleats to route the sheets through back to the winches rather than rigging turning blocks.  We keep the sail in a bag secured to the guardrails, hoist it in its snuffer before pulling the snuffer up. 

We find that it doesn’t like the wind much forward of a broad reach and won’t tolerate the wind much further aft than about 120 degrees.  Other than that, it’s a useful addition to the sails, easy enough to manage and keeps us moving in very light winds.  Looks good too....

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 22 2019, 22:39 »
There are many different variations on the cruising chute theme so it is worth doing some research and talking to several sailmakers. Most of their websites (in the UK) provide information on what they offer. Having said that perhaps the most common type for cruising is one which will cover angles from around 80-150 degrees AWA in lighter airs up to say 15 knots where the heavier genoa is limited, or, as in the newer boats where the smaller non overlapping jib lacks sail area and gets blanketted by the main.

There is a trend now to fit a furling chute for easy handling, particularly with a small crew or singles handed. However this adds considerably to the cost - on mine for a 33 the furler and the associated hardware cost as much as the sail itself.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 23 2019, 11:36 »
Simon,

Look at the topic "modifications and equipment- Downwind sails" for information on options and set up.

Cheers
mark
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Bobb

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 18 2019, 07:01 »
I was disappointed at barely getting to a broad reach. I'm thinking about systems to move the tack out to windward using a whisker pole (and a longer line from the bowsprit) to get more exposure.

anyone tried mods to an asymmetric?

oh, yeah, snuffer. Makes it easy.

bob
2009 Bav 34 Cruiser
S/V Sympatheia

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: July 19 2019, 19:34 »
On my previous 31ft boat we sometimes rigged the asym with a pole like it was a symmetric spinnaker. Worked perfectly for a quite full asym.

Now having the luxury of selecting between asym and sym spi.

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina