Author Topic: 2005 42' Cruiser Plastic / Chrome Fluorescent Light Replacements  (Read 3079 times)

Ballyhoo

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 42' Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Dear all, I've just purchased this boat, the strip lights on the boat have the 'chrome' peeling off and look shabby so I'm looking to replace them. Clipper Marine say they're no longer available (now only in white) £60.00+ for the white! Does anyone know of a suitable replacement please? 

[NOTE from Nigel: I suggest you repost the question below as another topic]
Also, there's a fair bit of vibration from the engine/saildrive....after hauling I saw now problems with the Propellor and the engine / saildrive mounts looked good also, maybe the vibration is normal with this installation? It was less at certain higher revs but I don't particularly want the fuel bill associated with that! Anyone have any experience of this please? Thanks' in anticipation, John.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
I've stripped the chrome from my striplights, painted them white, and added LED tubes.

Modified quote from Borough Plating, the company who stripped my portlights...

The chrome deposit is stripped first of all using a 50% solution of concentrated (36%) Hydrochloric Acid at room temperature.

Once the chrome is removed, the nickel and copper layers can be stripped using a 10% solution of concentrated Sulphuric Acid (96%) and Hydrogen Peroxide (100 Vol, 30%). To make up 1 litre you would need 100ml of Sulphuric Acid and 100ml Hydrogen Peroxide, decrease water and increase quantities if lower concentrations used.

This strips best at 40-45 degrees centigrade. Neither solutions require electrodes as they work chemically.

Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
The originals are not very good and there are much better alternatives available from chandlers. Good range in the Force 4 catalogue.

ITIL MAN

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
The only strip light I had with the chrome looking a little tarnished I replaced with a very similar light unit from a local caravan shop and obviously a lot less than any boaty shop.  It fits the existing holes, looks the same except its not bright chrome more a painted silver and is LED so better light.

As for vibration, I have a B42 cruiser 2007 and no vibration as you describe. Only vibration I get is when sailing with engine off if I don't leave it in gear,

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
Hi Ballyhoo we too have a 2005 42 Cruiser, our lights didn't peal, the circuit boards shorted out and scorched the headliner :o. I replaced them with LED strip lights from IKEA  ;). Two seasons on and the still work great. Not sure of the model I remember it had a built in switch though.
Cheers

Stuart