Author Topic: Bav 36 Cooker flame out thingy.  (Read 2167 times)

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
Bav 36 Cooker flame out thingy.
« on: June 14 2019, 12:22 »
Can anyone point me at the right thing to purchase for the cooker in our B36 (2003) which seems to enjoy going out at the most annoying time.
I think its down to the thermocouple(?) thing being old, and I think I can simply get a non marine replacement - problem is that I wanted to get them remotely from the boat and have no clue what I am looking for.

Anyone replaced theirs can point me at an EBay or something advert that I can get them?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Bav 36 Cooker flame out thingy.
« Reply #1 on: June 14 2019, 13:41 »
If it is the original cooker then it is a Techimpex and www.penguinmarine.co.uk on the IOW are the UK agents. Very helpful outfit. Best of luck taking it apart - not the best engineered cooker on the market!

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: June 15 2019, 15:46 »
I’d suggest you try taking it apart first before ordering anything, then if you find it like the cooker I had on my B36/2002, it was impossible to dismantle because of corrosion and seizure of the screws that held it all together. I ended up buying a new cooker and thereby saved money on parts that would otherwise become redundant and a waste of money.

Obviously if you can strip it down, then order the parts you need, but not until you know that it will take apart easily.

If you go down the route of buying a new cooker, you will find they come in varying sizes, so measure the slot where it has to go, height, depth and width and an allowance for the gimballing action, and then you will have all the details to hand when you let your fingers do the walking.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 15 2019, 16:48 »
Out of interest just had a flyer through the post from Force 4 with the Techimpex cooker on offer for £399. While still not the best cooker for the reasons Salty outlines it is a direct replacement and substantially cheaper than alternatives most of which require at least some mods to fit. I must say the one fitted to my new (2015) boat seems better than the one I had in the 2001 boat which still did more than 10 years, most of them on charter.

Anyway, 17 years service out of a cooker is not unreasonable.

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: June 20 2019, 13:45 »
Apologies for the late reply - I've had a family bereavement.

I wil investigate the strip down and if that fails, just order a new cooker!

semaphore

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: July 04 2019, 06:29 »
If it is the original cooker then it is a Techimpex and www.penguinmarine.co.uk on the IOW are the UK agents. Very helpful outfit. Best of luck taking it apart - not the best engineered cooker on the market!

You can say that again! I've managed to cut myself each time I've taken it apart. I too have an issue with what I think is the thermocouple on one burner, but each time I dismantle it, the problem relocates to the other burner. This has happened twice now. Perhaps the routing of the thermocouple wire?

I’d suggest you try taking it apart first before ordering anything, then if you find it like the cooker I had on my B36/2002, it was impossible to dismantle because of corrosion and seizure of the screws that held it all together. I ended up buying a new cooker and thereby saved money on parts that would otherwise become redundant and a waste of money.

I'm hoping it won't come to that point. The screw that holds the ... holes for the fire is corroded, but not much else at this point.