Author Topic: Engine elbow maintenance  (Read 3037 times)

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Engine elbow maintenance
« on: June 07 2019, 10:46 »
Every 3 years I clean the elbow on my 2030, but it's the same for any engine.
The water channel gets clogged up with carbon and scale build up, so I take it off and block off end of elbow with a rubber glove and elastic band so I can fill it up with  "  Acide Chlorhydrique " cost €1.85 in France  leave it 24 hrs  before washing out and refitting.

It's not a difficult  job and easier second time of doing. I put plumbers silicon grease on the surfaces and threads when refitting which makes the next time easy.

Tools I use are the key to making life easy, you can see the automotive hose easy out tools that make short work of breaking the exhaust pipe seal, you can use a screw driver but these tools are better. Ease the pipe around and put wd 40 in let it do the work then remove pipe.

New gasket on re assy, job done.

Hope this helps

Odysseus
Odysseus

Harry Brown

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Re: Engine elbow maintenance
« Reply #1 on: June 07 2019, 16:10 »
Thanks for taking time to write.
Excellent! :)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: June 09 2019, 18:55 »

Tools I use are the key to making life easy, you can see the automotive hose easy out tools that make short work of breaking the exhaust pipe seal. . .

Odysseus

I’ve not seen tools like those Bill, where did you get them from, or are they home made ?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: June 10 2019, 07:59 »
They're called hose picks. I've got a set a few years ago and can confirm they are extremely useful.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: June 10 2019, 09:43 »
Had them for years put a search in Google for automotive hose removal tools.
I am sure they will come up, the ones in the photo are a present from my gradson, but oridginal ones came with my tool set in the Navy.
Odysseus

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: June 10 2019, 21:38 »
Yes, they do look useful, and having had minor problems in the past that were solved using the screwdriver trick along with some soapy water which might not be as effective as WD40, I have been able to remove hoses that seem to get well and truly stuck in place. However, I’m now looking for something perhaps better suited to the job.
Thanks Yngmar and Odysseus, I’ll try eBay now that I know what the tools are called.