Author Topic: Berth improvement - froli spring system  (Read 2851 times)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Berth improvement - froli spring system
« on: May 27 2019, 08:58 »
We had previously upgraded front cabin with visco-elastic (Tempur-like) add-on mattress, but still needed some more depth in the softness. This weekend I installed Froli travel spring system that is adaptable to the odd shapes and locker covers and can also be customized in terms of firmness during installation. Based on first night experience, there is significant improvement in comfort and an additional benefit is that the springs create a ventilation gap below the cushions. Froli springs can be sourced from SVB, I ended up using 1 basic pack, 2 extension sets and 1 ½-element extension set.

Sleep tight,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Berth improvement - froli spring system
« Reply #1 on: May 28 2019, 07:43 »
We 'upgraded' our sleeping quarters by adding a king-size, memory-foam mattress topper to the existing set-up. The topper has a zip cover (for cleaning).  I removed and cut the inner foam to match the 'v' shape of the forward cabin. It's as comfortable as the bed at home for less than £150 (Dunelm stores) ;D :kewl

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: May 28 2019, 16:31 »
We 'upgraded' our sleeping quarters by adding a king-size, memory-foam mattress topper to the existing set-up. The topper has a zip cover (for cleaning).  I removed and cut the inner foam to match the 'v' shape of the forward cabin. It's as comfortable as the bed at home for less than £150 (Dunelm stores) ;D :kewl

Tommi’s Froli springs are available in the UK on eBay, but I like the idea of using a memory foam mattress topper. Dawntreader, after cutting the mattress topper to fit the forward Vee berth, did you also alter the shape of its zip cover?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: May 29 2019, 17:22 »
"... did you also alter the shape of its zip cover?"

No, we just tuck the loose corners of the cover underneath the mattress - they are out of the way then. I also kept the two triangles of foam and made two flat cushions out of them by fitting them into pillow cases. Good butt relief on long passages  ;D

s/y Susanne

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44/3
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: June 06 2019, 12:06 »
Mattress toppers ( IKEA ) and curved under bed slats ( also IKEA) have made all or bunks superbly comfortable and avoided any under-mattress condensation. My partner re-sewed the original zip-off covers to match the shape of the under-mattress and the re-shaped toppers.