Author Topic: Bavaria 37 2005 LoA ??  (Read 2482 times)

Kala

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Bavaria 37 2005 LoA ??
« on: May 18 2019, 22:03 »
Hi there..

I am a little bit confused about Bavaria 37 (model 2005).. Sailboatdata.com says that LoA is 11'53... I've been unable to confirm that data since all the other pages I've visited say that is 11,35... Could anybody confirm which is the Bavaria 37 (model 2005) LoA?

Thank you very much!

Salty

• Old Salt
Re: Bavaria 37 2005 LoA ??
« Reply #1 on: May 18 2019, 22:16 »
I could be wrong, but it was suggested to me a number of years ago that the 36 and the 37 both shared the same hull at 11.4 metres in length. The distinctive difference being the internal layout where the 36 had a galley in the port aft corner of the saloon and a centrally located drop leaf dining table between port and starboard settees, while the 37 had a longitudinal galley all along the port side and with a smaller dining table offset to starboard.
So essentially you would be looking at a hull overall length of 11.4 metres.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 18 2019, 22:37 »
It is sort of irrelevant as when the boat was made there was no fixed method for determining published measurements. So LOA was essentially what the writer of the spec sheet chose - it could for example include bow fittings of ladders on the sugar scoop.

So, it is not surprising that you see different measurements quoted in different sources. The minor differences you note are essentially irrelevant - the boat is what it is and whether it is 11.35, 11.4 or 11.53 makes no material difference.

Where the actual measurement might be important is in situations like in my club where berth fees are based on the area occupied so rather than relying on published figures each individual boat is measured for overall length and maximum beam. The figures for my 2015 Bav 33 are different from the builder's figures which are quoted according to an ISO standard. The figures on the Builder's Certificate are L 9.99m B 3.42m. Club measurements are L 10.26m B 3.5m

Kala

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: May 18 2019, 22:49 »
Good, many thanks.

In Spain is quite relevant since if you want to use it as a school boat it should be at least 11,50 mtrs to be able to do the navigation practices for Patron de Yate or Capitan de Yate (YOS, YOC equivalent).. So if in its papers says that is 11,35.. it will be hard to convince the Authority (Capitanía) that is 11,53...

Thanks!

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: May 19 2019, 15:17 »
That is the downside of living in a country that has arbitrary rules (which of course will be ignored if it suits the official applying them). In the absence of a definitive figure suggest you measure the boat, which will almost certainly be longer than 11.5m and just enter your figure in you registration form. This, of course assumes that whoever sets the "rule" has not provided a specific method of measurement (just as my club has).

If you are relying on the builder's definition then as I said that will be on the Builders Certificate which was issued by Bavaria when the boat was built. It is a legal requirement that the boat has this certificate when it is first sold and it should stay with the boat's papers. If that says 11.35 then as you say the boat does not qualify if the authority only accepts the figure from the builder.

BTW the Sailboatdata figure is almost certainly a misprint, transposing the last 2 digits!

Domi409

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B45
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 19 2019, 17:13 »
Hello,
11,35 looks to be the correct figure. Attached an official user manual (similar to mine) with all data.
Bavaria commercial brochure says the same.
Dominique

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: May 19 2019, 22:45 »
What a wonderfully cockeyed world we all live in, that means my B36 as measured by the manufacturer at a stated 11.4 metres in length according to their official owners manual is five centimetres longer than your B37 🤪

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 19 2019, 22:55 »
Even more confusing when comparing different manufacturers.

My 2009 Bav 38 is the same length over the deck as a Sun Odyssey 40.

Craig
" Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: May 19 2019, 23:35 »
This is a well trod path. There is often little connection between the number used as a label in the model name and a real measurement. Model names using numbers are chosen to position the boat both in the minds of potential buyers and as a comparator with competitors. In a previous age before "size" became important as a measure of position on the pecking order, LWL was the most common way of describing a boat when aimed at the racing market (because rating rules used LWL as a base) or TM as a measure of volume for cruisers.

As we see from Kala's dilemma, rule makers set their own measures if it suits them and for obvious reasons it is in metres and because rules require authentication they will look for an "official" confirmation. The silly things is that they are using the 11.5m as a proxy for some idea of capability of the boat that somehow makes it suitable for a particular use, when the RCD category already does this - and is indeed often used in countries that are obsessed with rules. Using the same logic, if the threshold was 10m, my 33 would not comply because the maker says it is 9.99m, but neither would its predecessor which was called a 32, nor its successor which is called a 34 - even though they all have the same hull!