Author Topic: Fridge thermostat revisited  (Read 3518 times)

Alphadug

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
Fridge thermostat revisited
« on: May 13 2019, 21:02 »
It appears that people have replaced the thermostat in a system with a VE150 evaporator unit. I have a Sodial MH1219A (basically the Htronic) with a sensor that goes in the fridge box not in the evaporator coils like the factory setup. Isotherm says this will not work. I can't see any reason it won't. Has anyone had any problems with this setup?

Thanks,
Doug

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Fridge thermostat revisited
« Reply #1 on: May 14 2019, 10:20 »
We've been using a digital thermostat for a couple years now, in liveaboard cruising (fulltime) use. Works very well. Location of the sensor is important.

I've also added a circulation fan to reduce icing and help a more equal temperature distribution in our large 160L fridge. The sensor is located at the opposite side of the fan, away from the evaporator plate, so it measures the circulated air temperature in the fridge.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Krill

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: May 20 2019, 14:57 »
also +1 more using an aftermarket thermostat, as long as you wire it correctly to the original control inputs you can put in basically whatever controller you like.

the only sensitive power supply is the one designed for the fan, and if that draws too much current your fridge will just "fault loop" itself and basically not work, that can cause you issues if you mess with it, the rest is simple.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #3 on: May 20 2019, 17:29 »
We've been using a digital thermostat for a couple years now, in liveaboard cruising (fulltime) use. Works very well. Location of the sensor is important.

I've also added a circulation fan to reduce icing and help a more equal temperature distribution in our large 160L fridge. The sensor is located at the opposite side of the fan, away from the evaporator plate, so it measures the circulated air temperature in the fridge.

We do likewise. Cost about £10 on Ebay and is much better than the original.
I've also fitted a 4" 12V computer fan, but not in the fridge, it's mounted in the bulkhead to blow cold air from low down in the aft heads into the compressor compartment...The compressor now remains much cooler (even in hot weather) increasing the efficiency of the fridge............Bill

Bav32

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: May 20 2019, 20:27 »
Do you guys have any specs on the thermostat? What should I be looking at? Also where am I supposed to connect the relay output(?) of the thermostat?

Alphadug

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: June 11 2019, 17:52 »
I can't seem to get the Sodial t-stat to cool below 5C. It turns the fridge off at 5 and back on at 6. I'd like it to run between 4 and 6 if possible.

Thanks, Doug

lawrence_craig

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 46
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #6 on: August 20 2019, 08:58 »

Do you have any pictures of your setup? I have just bought a digital one myself so looking to fit it in the next week or so.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #7 on: August 20 2019, 13:48 »
It's flush mounted on the cabin side of the fridge:

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #8 on: August 20 2019, 20:17 »
I can't seem to get the Sodial t-stat to cool below 5C. It turns the fridge off at 5 and back on at 6. I'd like it to run between 4 and 6 if possible.

Thanks, Doug

Hi Doug
If it's the same as mine then press [Set] for 3-ish secs; press [Down] until 'LS' displays; press [Set] then use [Up/Down] to set 'Low' temp (i.e. 4C); press [Set] to fix in memory. If you need to change High Temp then use [Up/Down] until 'HS' displays; press [Set] then use [Up/Down] to set 'High' temp; press [Set] to fix in memory. Leave and it'll default to normal display after a few seconds. Hope that's the same for yours...
ATB

Mark