Author Topic: Fuel Tank Sensor  (Read 2843 times)

lawrence_craig

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 46
  • Boat Year: 2007
Fuel Tank Sensor
« on: August 06 2019, 15:52 »
Hi all,

My fuel tank sensor recently went faulty so I bought a replacement.

Unfortunately, one of my crew, before it went faulty, blamed the connectors in the wiring and so changed some of the wiring about.

Now when fitting the new sensor, I have tried every combination of fitting the connections together and I can't get it to read correctly. One arrangement gives me a Full Reading, the rest stay on empty.

Does someone have a picture of their setup (the connection part) or know where I can find a wiring diagram?

Many thanks,
Lawrence

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Fuel Tank Sensor
« Reply #1 on: August 06 2019, 19:11 »
This any help? (B37 2006)

lawrence_craig

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: August 06 2019, 22:26 »
That looks interesting.

Only thing is my sender has 3 wires out of it and goes into 4 wires, so somewhere 2 of them share a connection with the sender.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: August 09 2019, 15:54 »
Can't help with the problem but would suggest keel-hauling for the crew-member...  :)
ATB

Mark

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: August 09 2019, 22:45 »
That looks interesting.

Only thing is my sender has 3 wires out of it and goes into 4 wires, so somewhere 2 of them share a connection with the sender.

That would appear (to me) to tie in with Dawntreaders wiring diagram which has three wires connecting to the tank sender at points X2, X3 and X4. Those wires then lead to the display unit, connecting to it at points X5, X6 and X7 with a jumper connection at X7 leading on to X8 which is the 4th wire, and which provides for the display unit lighting.

What I’m not too sure about is point X1 and what or where that point is, though some form of logic says it’s probably a connection to the positive supply from the engine control panel on/off push button or ignition switch depending on which engine control panel you have. Perhaps someone else can help me out on the location of point X1 ?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 10 2019, 07:17 »
Point X1 is the block connector to the fuel tank sensor unit.
Word of warning: The reason I have this diagram is because the original float-type tank sensor in my B37 2006 failed some years ago and I sourced a replacement from Clipper. The replacement was a digital sender and came with its own wiring loom. This new loom used different colours to that of the original. The translation is:
Old        New
Red          White
Black        Yellow
Blue          Brown

I attach another copy of the original wiring loom which may be easier to read

lawrence_craig

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: August 19 2019, 10:52 »
Point X1 is the block connector to the fuel tank sensor unit.
Word of warning: The reason I have this diagram is because the original float-type tank sensor in my B37 2006 failed some years ago and I sourced a replacement from Clipper. The replacement was a digital sender and came with its own wiring loom. This new loom used different colours to that of the original. The translation is:
Old        New
Red          White
Black        Yellow
Blue          Brown

I attach another copy of the original wiring loom which may be easier to read

Thanks for the clearer copy, definitely helps. How many wires do you have going from your sender into the connected to the loom? And then how many out of the connector to the rest of the loom?

Reason I ask is that I have 3 going into the connector block and then 3 going out of the connector block. Just trying to match them up.

I’m also possibly starting to suspect the gauge now as I have tried all possible ways of wiring!

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: August 19 2019, 17:24 »
Looks like I may have a different loom to you but with only 3 wires you should get the correct combination fairly easily. If still not working you may be right about the gauge. Go onto Youtube - there are some simple tests you can do to prove whether it is working or not. I attach a photo of the block I had to use to connect the new sender to my existing loom - there are about 6 wires but not all are used  ::)

lawrence_craig

• Swab
« Reply #8 on: August 20 2019, 08:46 »
Looks like I may have a different loom to you but with only 3 wires you should get the correct combination fairly easily. If still not working you may be right about the gauge. Go onto Youtube - there are some simple tests you can do to prove whether it is working or not. I attach a photo of the block I had to use to connect the new sender to my existing loom - there are about 6 wires but not all are used  ::)

Thanks for the photos! I notice that you have only 3 wires going out of the loom, is that correct? (2 blue sharing a common pin and one red)