Author Topic: Oil leakage Volvo Penta D1-20  (Read 4202 times)

fjoe

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Oil leakage Volvo Penta D1-20
« on: April 23 2019, 21:25 »
Engine assembled in 2007, about 1200h, acc. to Volvo technician tight, but oil leakage under full load between engine and sail drive. Do you have any ideas where the leakage could be?
Engine shall be disassembled this week  >:(

(Remark reg. photo: German "bug" is English "bow")

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
Re: Oil leakage Volvo Penta D1-20
« Reply #1 on: April 24 2019, 17:38 »
I'm only guessing but:...........
Sounds to me like the normal small amount of piston blow-by gases aren't getting out of the crankcase, probably due to blocked crankcase vents.
This would increase pressure in the crankcase causing oil to escape past oils seals etc, in your case the rear crankshaft oil seal.
This excess pressure would obviously be highest under load, i.e. oil leak at it's worst.

It would be a shame (and ridiculously expensive..!! ) to have the engine taken apart when the simple cleaning of a venting system could solve it.

At 1200 hrs It's very unlikely to be serious, but the engine is 12/13 years old, plenty time for gunge, insects and the like to choke the venting system.
           Good Luck................Bill

fjoe

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: May 30 2019, 00:10 »
Bill, Thank you for your analysis. The reason was more complicated but fortunately the seller had to pay for it. I used the opportunity to replace the saildrive sealing saving 60% of the normal cost.

Best regards
Frank

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #3 on: May 30 2019, 03:16 »
Bill, Thank you for your analysis. The reason was more complicated but fortunately the seller had to pay for it. I used the opportunity to replace the saildrive sealing saving 60% of the normal cost.

Best regards
Frank

Would love to know the reason.  But, glad you're getting a good deal on the saildrive seal.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

fjoe

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: June 01 2019, 00:44 »
Bill,
due Dutch-German-English lack of the right vocabularies we could not understand eachother. It was something with a "Packung (German)" or "packing" in English. Something between the engine and the Saildrive.

Best regards
Frank

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: June 01 2019, 03:37 »
Bill,
due Dutch-German-English lack of the right vocabularies we could not understand eachother. It was something with a "Packung (German)" or "packing" in English. Something between the engine and the Saildrive.

Best regards
Frank

The most likely problem here was a blown and damaged or leaking “Gasket,” and very often in English the material used for making “Gaskets” is referred to as “Packing,” and that is not so very different from the German word.
It’s always worth asking for any faulty or replaced parts to be retained for your subsequent inspection before the job starts so that nothing is just thrown away without you seeing exactly what has been changed or replaced. If it does nothing else it helps to expand your knowledge of the engine.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #6 on: June 02 2019, 13:47 »

Best regards
Frank

Would love to know the reason.  But, glad you're getting a good deal on the saildrive seal.
  Yes. Having gone off at a tangent somewhat, I'd also be very interested to hear the real explanation for the leak..?................Bill