Author Topic: Convert water tank to diesel tank  (Read 1817 times)

Mary Claire

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 50 Vision
  • Boat Year: 2008
Convert water tank to diesel tank
« on: April 14 2019, 09:10 »
Hi
I would like to forego my aft water tank and use it as an additional diesel tank. Since we have a water maker, additional diesel storage is more useful to us than water storage. Does any one know if the white plastic for the water tank as opposed to the black plastic for the diesel tank is compatible with diesel and if there is some technical reason why the water tank is not suitable for diesel.
Thanks
Tom Mary Claire

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Convert water tank to diesel tank
« Reply #1 on: April 18 2019, 11:34 »
No first hand knowledge, but I have learnt to trust material suppliers in chemical compatibility.

Assuming water tank is HDPE plastic, there seems to be some conflicting information around

http://www.sdplastics.com/kingplastic/Chemical-Resistants-Chart.pdf lists Diesel as Resistant @20C, but NotRecommended at 60C., while
http://www.sdplastics.com/kingplastic/Chemical-Resistants-Chart.pdf states "D = Severe Effect, not recommended for ANY use."

Based on conflicting information and no first hand manufacturer info, I would not like to test this in my boat. If I had small test tank of same material available for garage-lab testing I could consider..

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 18 2019, 12:57 »
TekTanks, who offer a range of standard and custom tanks in both HDPE and MDPE, say both are suitable for diesel.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 28 2019, 12:13 »
It is likely that the Diesel (fuel) tanks have a small amount of carbon additive to control or dissipate  static build up in the tank. The water tank would not have this so static (charge) build up and subsequent flash/spark discharge in the diesel fuel may not end well.

Regards

Mark
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009