Author Topic: Top up fridge gas  (Read 3274 times)

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Top up fridge gas
« on: April 06 2019, 16:13 »
Has anyone topped up the freon in their fridge,  if so where did you get the kit from and did you use the maintenance input pipe on the compressor. Danfos 35f.

Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Top up fridge gas
« Reply #1 on: April 06 2019, 18:06 »
Yep, I've done this job. The leak on ours was apparently from the quick-connect couplings, similar (but not identical) to the ones you have on the right of your compressor. They had to be taken apart (removed from the pipes) and resealed with new sealant, and the old sealant removed and blown out backwards with a bicicyle pump from the capillary tube, which it was blocking intermittently as the sealant was crumbling.

The refrigerant is R134a as is clearly marked on the compressor. You need:

• Can of R134a refrigerant gas
  • Can tap valve
  • Manifold gauge with hose set and connectors (Schrader)
  • Rotary vane vacuum pump
  • Vacuum pump oil

Once you've fixed the leak (probably also the connectors, just like on most boat fridges), you need to draw a deep vacuum for a few hours to boil out any moisture from the oil in the Danfoss compressor (else you get water freezing in the capillary and blocking it) and then refill with the new refrigerant. Top up slowly until you get the right amount, which you can tell as per these instructions: http://coxeng.co.uk/heating-and-refrigeration/recharging-marine-refrigeration-systems/

All of it was available from eBay, for a total of £140 although the R134a can be a bit tricky sometimes. If you can't get a can of pure R134a, you can buy one mixed with oil for a car air conditioning unit. Let it sit upright (valve at the top) for a while, at which point the refrigerant will come out and the heavier oil stay in the can, as you do not want to add this to your compressor, which already has its fill of polyolester oil inside.

Good luck! It's very satisfying when the fridge makes evaporation sounds again and gets cold! :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
« Reply #2 on: April 06 2019, 18:44 »
Thanks  for the info, I understand all of that the real issue for me is can you use the maintenance connection  shown on compressor top left of photo or do you have to pinhole the pipe on the lower return pipe.

Odysseus.
Odysseus

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #3 on: April 06 2019, 20:32 »
Yes, that's what it's for.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
« Reply #4 on: April 07 2019, 10:02 »
Thank you Yngmar, have you done a top up on your system, if so what connection did you have to buy to use this port.

Its does not look difficult but any experience gained is a bonus.

Odysseus
Odysseus

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
« Reply #5 on: April 07 2019, 15:01 »
Ok all
 All undersood now.
Odysseus
Odysseus

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
« Reply #6 on: April 07 2019, 17:17 »
Yngmar, you make me feel quite smug that I paid 60euro to have my fridge connectors nipped up and regassed  , OK so it was in 2011 but a good deal even then . A tip the bloke gave me was to clip the long pipework loops every 20cm to stop the vibration loosening the connectors. Geoff

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
« Reply #7 on: April 07 2019, 19:37 »
Sorry about that, I have had a long phone call About the difference  in the systems, frigelo and isotherm  with frigelo having an issue with the (O) rings degrading over time.
So now I know what to do !!!!  And can get the gear needed off EBay. My fridge is still running ok but I needed to understand what would be necessary to get the fridge back on line.  That done I rest at night, as I like you live on my boat for 6 month a year.

Thank you
Odysseus
Odysseus