Author Topic: Rudder shaft lock nut removal  (Read 4287 times)

Thomas S

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 390
  • Boat Year: 1991
Rudder shaft lock nut removal
« on: March 20 2017, 17:32 »
Hi
I'm trying to fit new rudder bearings but have a problems to remove the rudder shaft lock nut. Is it done with a special tool or move? I can't make it los.

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Re: Bavaria 38 ocean rudder locking mech, spacer?
« Reply #1 on: March 20 2017, 23:27 »
Hi
Guess you tagged this on to one of my old posts?  I seem to remember as in my original post a locking grub screw which is at  side of locking ring that need removal first then you need a 2 pronged tool which is used to turn the ring to remove it.  Think it's called a 2 pin spanner wrench, it fits the indentations on top of ring.
John

Thomas S

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 390
  • Boat Year: 1991
Re: Re: Bavaria 38 ocean rudder locking mech, spacer?
« Reply #2 on: March 21 2017, 09:36 »
I saw that your post was similar to my question so i hope to get a reply :) Thank you for the answer, i will try it out.
/Thomas

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Rudder shaft lock nut removal
« Reply #3 on: March 21 2017, 11:51 »
After removing the screw which pinches the thread to lock the top nut, the nut turned easily by inserting two screwdrivers into the holes and a bar across them. If not, try lifting the rudder from below to unload the nut.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005

artemis

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: March 22 2017, 21:17 »
Hi I did the job of removing the rudder by jacking up the ruddy ever so slightly, inserting 2 Philips screw drivers into the holes on the nut and a 1 foot wooden bar and just inserted it in-between the screwdrivers and turned it. Remember you have then to dig a hole to get the rudder out or re-lift the yacht

Robbo

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: April 20 2019, 00:15 »
I have the opposite problem. The nut disc is loose and slackens as we sail. A previous owner has used graphite grease on the rudder shaft and locking disc. Has anybody used a nylon lock nut or something to stop the nut disc up turning while sailing?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: April 20 2019, 08:16 »
I have the opposite problem. The nut disc is loose and slackens as we sail. A previous owner has used graphite grease on the rudder shaft and locking disc. Has anybody used a nylon lock nut or something to stop the nut disc up turning while sailing?

You shouldn't have to do this - as stated in a previous post there is a grub screw which, when tightened, distorts the threads and the nut will stay in position.