Author Topic: Nav Light Not Working  (Read 2184 times)

simonmoore

• Swab
Nav Light Not Working
« on: April 04 2019, 06:14 »
The sidelight unit situated right forward on my Bavaria 38 has stopped working.  I have changed the lamp for a tried and tested new one and still not working.  We tested the light unit with a multimeter and are only getting 8 volts whereas the stern light is getting 12 volts.  So I suspect this is the reason why it’s not working but does anyone have and idea what would be causing the voltage to be lower?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Nav Light Not Working
« Reply #1 on: April 04 2019, 08:42 »
This is most likely to be water ingress into the copper wire which is fed through the pushpit rail to the nav lights from inside the forward bulkhead. You will need to remove the white cover (screws) and gently prise them apart at the middle. This will allow you to remove each panel by sliding one over the other separately. Replace the old wire with tinned version  ;)
See attached photos

Domi409

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B45
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 06 2019, 09:07 »
Hi,
I got the same issue on my B30C and tried to change the wire but could not do it as it goes thru the tubing of the balcony.
How did you change the wire?
Thanks

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 06 2019, 15:24 »
Suggest you join your new wire to the old very securely then pull the old wire out which will also pull the new one through the tube.

simonmoore

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: April 06 2019, 16:54 »
Great advice.  Thank you all.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: April 07 2019, 08:11 »
Suggest you join your new wire to the old very securely then pull the old wire out which will also pull the new one through the tube.

...exactly  ;D get someone to feed it through as you are pulling too