Author Topic: Volvo D1 and D2 engines  (Read 6666 times)

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Volvo D1 and D2 engines
« on: March 30 2019, 22:53 »
Owners of these engines may be aware that there have been a number of failures of the MDI unit which is the interface between the mechanical fuel system and the electronic control panel. Failures result in non starting, sudden stopping and malfunction of the displays.

Volvo have been replacing failed units free, but today I received a recall notice to replace all units potentially affected. My engine is a D1 30 serial no 5102166271A built in 2015. Not sure of the range of engine build dates affected.

If you have one of these engines, particularly if you are not the first owner, worth checking with your Volvo dealer. The reference is Service Bulletin 37-2-107 Quality Campaign Q0138. The replacement will be free of charge.

Hotzenplotz

• Cadet
Re: Volvo D1 and D2 engines
« Reply #1 on: April 01 2019, 14:32 »
you can find all information about existing recalls by ckecking the engine serial number here:

https://www.volvopenta.com/industrialoffroad/en-en/parts-service/your-engine/recall-information.html

with Symphonys serial it shows like attached.

best wishes

Jens

Jdone2353

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Nautitech open 40
  • Boat Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: September 03 2019, 12:49 »
I have the Volvo D2-30 engines on my Nautitech Catamaran so far with the engines less than 700 hours old i have had to replace the MDI Units 5 times.  If you add the original units supplied with the new engine that makes 7 MDI controllers in 18 months.  Although VP are very good at organizing warranty replacements I still have no idea what the unit fails so often.  I read of uncommanded engine starts or shut down and am very concerned to the safety of my boat and the Volvo engine i bought in good faith.  Does anybody have any ideas

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 03 2019, 14:11 »
Stupid thing to put on a marine engine in my opinion.

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #4 on: September 04 2019, 09:17 »
My 2016 Cruiser 37 had done 375hrs without MDI problems. Had the unit replaced a couple of months back after 8 hrs it shut down the engine and display starter panel in the middle of the NE bound shipping lane on route to Cherbourg. I had to sail back to Weymouth and pay for a tow as the wind slowly died. It fired up again 2 two days later, but the dealer will not give my old one back or supply a replacement as it is not completely dead.

It leaves me with no confidence in the engine to be reliable or Volvo especially as on researching the problem I find there has been at least 6 or 7 issues of this part to date and all have failed.

How difficult can it be for Volvo to design and build a unit that is reliable!

Hotzenplotz

• Cadet
« Reply #5 on: September 05 2019, 13:14 »
Hi,
Have you found information in the web for an emergency switch which starts the engine with broken  mdi or even without, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP-1Q_4bRcI .
You still will have to get a new mdi in case of failure but you don't need to worry if it happens in situ.

I never had any issues with my 2011 d1-30 (400hrs) but I installed such a switch just for the confidence that it will start the engine whatever happens with the mdi.
best regards.
Jens

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: September 06 2019, 08:44 »
Yes. Have fitted the switch. Also the MDI when it fails actuates the fuel solenoid so that is why the engine stops.

I have concluded that their design must be getting close to what is required as it started two days later. Perhaps its an overheat problem. Either way its a very poor show not knowing when its going to fail next.

solar

« Reply #7 on: September 06 2019, 12:52 »
Hi.
Watched the YouTube.
Still don't know what/where to buy and how to install.
Is it my age...?
 ???

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #8 on: September 17 2019, 01:10 »
Hi GeoffV

Interested in how you wired the switch. Did you wire it in parallel with the MDI unit so it can be used as a back up but the MDI still works otherwise?

Photos if possible please since I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

Thanks if possible

By the way, my boat is in Grenada and the Volvo agent at Grenada Marine has been told NOT to replace any MDI units UNTIL/UNLESS THEY FAIL !! They are apparently treating it like an extended warranty rather than a recall.....  I am not there at present but have my boat guardianage service looking into it for me. They are Bavaria dealers and this is what Volvo has told them. Not sure if other parts of the Caribean or beyond are the same but watch out for Volvo trying to squeak out of this so called "recall" .
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

SofiaB

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 46
« Reply #9 on: September 20 2019, 03:37 »
The MDI unit in my Vision 46, D2-55 failed the DAY we were heading out on our 5 week trip up north (Great Lakes).  Volvo sent the part for next day delivery and their local dealer stopped by the boat the same day we reported the issue.  They then received the part and installed the unit the day it arrived.  Took 15 minutes to swap the MDI unit and it started immediately. 

Our failure was the engine would not start.  Funny thing was that it did start the day the part arrived.  But, it started with it in forward, at half throttle!  Good thing I had the dock lines tight.

I suggest changing it immediately, before the failure, as the failure allows for starting the engine in gear.  I also read that the engine could fail under power.

If you need service on Lake Erie, Lake Sinclair or Lake Huron (possibly Lake Michigan), I highly recommend Burts Deisel.  Family business with fantastic response.
Cheers,  Stuart  (Sofia)

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #10 on: September 20 2019, 14:53 »
Heard back on my boat.

Apparently these faulty units are all post 2014 manufacture and my engine is not subject to the recall when I put in the engine serial number it is not on the recall list. My engine was manufactured in 2013 for install on my 2014 model year Vision 46.

I'm gong to leave well alone but will still have a bypass switch ready just in case.

Good luck all.
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Harry Brown

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #11 on: September 21 2019, 09:52 »
I would like to fit one of theses switches also.
Would anyone be so kind as to provide any details on how we could do this?
i.e. wiring diagram / explanation, etc?
I  cant seem to work it out from the video.
Much appreciated. Thanks.

Hotzenplotz

• Cadet
« Reply #12 on: September 21 2019, 13:30 »
I would like to fit one of theses switches also.
Would anyone be so kind as to provide any details on how we could do this?
i.e. wiring diagram / explanation, etc?
I  cant seem to work it out from the video.
Much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi , attached some pics i just made. It‘s quite simple, the switch is a cheap Push Button. Two wires to the Mdi  box and connected to „batt“ and „start“. That‘s all. It does not preheat so it May take longer time until  the engine  Starts. You can stop it directly at the pump, there is a lever signed with „stop“.
Best regards
Jens

Bobb

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
volvo MIDI starting problem
« Reply #13 on: February 11 2020, 03:16 »
this is complicated! I ordered a new MIDI after mine failed (wouldn't turn on, wouldn't start the engine). I was able to fit an override switch to get her started if i needed to, and then i installed the new MIDI .. but the panel start button still does nothing. UNTIL i start the engine using the override and then it goes on! And will shut the engine off correctly. AND then start it up again. But if i turn off the engine battery so power to the MIDI stops, if i try then to press the ON button, nothing happens.

Could it be the upper left button that turns the system on? And does anyone have a wiring diagram so i can trace it?

other any ideas?!

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #14 on: February 11 2020, 08:31 »
see the workshop manual page 33 and following ones

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #15 on: February 11 2020, 08:36 »
and yes, the upper left button is the on/off switch for the whole system. You should turn the mdi on with this switch, and turn the whole system off with this switch (after shutting your engine down with the stop switch). If you leave the system on, you would slowly drain your starter battery