Author Topic: Basin mixer tap - removal  (Read 2023 times)

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Basin mixer tap - removal
« on: May 03 2020, 18:05 »
So I have tried servicing my basin mixer tap - the one with the long spout not the pull out shower type.- but it still leaks from water drains out of the spout. Am attempting to remove it but the brass nut underneath comes off easily but there is still what appears to be a tube holding the tap firmly in place. Has anyone seen this and knows if it might be threaded or glued onto the original bolt? Photo included with the brass nut loosely on.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
Re: Basin mixer tap - removal
« Reply #1 on: May 03 2020, 18:06 »
Needless to say it is very hard to get at!!

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 03 2020, 18:50 »
Solved the problem, noticed there was a screw slot in the end if the bolt but I couldn’t get a decent hold to turn it so resorted to using 2 nuts to withdraw the whole thing. Examining it I am not sure if it’s one piece or a sleeve designed to limit how far you have to tighten the brass nut. Now to find a reasonably priced replacement once the shops open again. Lockdown starts to be Gradually lifted tomorrow here in Greece.

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
« Reply #3 on: May 03 2020, 23:32 »
This job is on my “to-do” list so your post is just at the right time! My tap doesn’t leak but is looking shabby. I’m thinking of replacing it with an ordinary Ideal Standard tap which is of the fixed variety. I don’t think it really needs to be swiveling. What do you think? R.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: May 03 2020, 23:39 »
I had been wondering about that as well. One thing I did find having removed the tap I had another go at disassembling it and found that the spout will come off completely to reveal the o rings that failed. But getting the right ones when the tap itself was so shabby wasn’t worth it. My gallery tap is exactly the same type and looks pristine, it doesn’t have that sleeve thing on the securing bolt!

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 04 2020, 01:33 »
It appears that Bavaria have used plumbing fittings of standard sizes. I replace my shower rose for only $Aus 8  using a standard replacement from Bunnings. ( B & Q in Britain) . Same applies to mixers as well.

Craig
" Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: May 04 2020, 14:45 »
They're standard household fittings, which are all installed the same way. Once you've done one, you'll know how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZmYK41U4kA

You can get replacements from any shop selling plumbing stuff. Lidl occasionally does a sale of various models in their usual reasonably quality for reasonable price manner - that's where all of ours are from and after 5 years they're still fine, although the galley one got some dings and scratches from the big stew pot that barely fits the sink!

The size of the hose fittings can vary but a standard BSP adapter from the same plumbing shop (or the chandlery with a markup) will sort it. Make sure they're well sealed to the work surface or sink, as any water seeping under will corrode them from the inside, where they aren't protected as well.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

DB

• Swab
  • Boat Model: SV 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #7 on: May 13 2020, 11:57 »
This thread is a revelation, I’ll be cancelling my tap order with svb. ;-)