Author Topic: Autopilot for Bavaria Match 35  (Read 2845 times)

KariA

• Swab
Autopilot for Bavaria Match 35
« on: February 19 2019, 08:24 »
Just bought Bavaria Match 35 Mk2 2005. New Bavaria owner, new in this site. Nice to meet you all!

The boat has no autopilot so I'm looking for suitable options to buy one.

I have been told that Lewmar Integra drive unit is standard/easy to implement for Bavaria cruisers from 30 to 39.
Is that a case also for Bavaria Match 35?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Autopilot for Bavaria Match 35
« Reply #1 on: February 20 2019, 11:41 »
The Lewmar only fits certain models where there is enough room under the pedestal to fit it. Doubt this is the case with a Match. The easiest type to fit is the wheelpilot type which is OK for light use but not really powerful enough for use in more demanding conditions. The alternatives are the under deck type that drive directly to the rudder stock. There are  different types of drive and which you fit will depend on the exact layout of your existing steering. The main suppliers of drives are Raymarine, Garmin, B&G and Jefa. All will have details of the different layouts available and schematics of how they work on their websites so you can see which is suitable for your boat.

You can mix and match the electronics with different drives and your choice of electronics may well depend on what you have already fitted for wind, speed, chart plotter etc. For example my boat has Garmin electronics and a Jefa drive.

Holger

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: February 21 2019, 06:25 »
According to this website https://www.sailtec.de/products-shop/details/autopilotmotor-bavaria-direkt-antrieb.html Lewmar seems to recommend a direct drive with part number 89300100

KariA

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: February 21 2019, 08:26 »
It seems that Bavaria Match has different solutions in steering parts. That Lewmar part seems to be quite similar compared to B&G DD15 unit which is one of my options.

Thank you both.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: February 21 2019, 17:13 »
I’d agree with Symphony in regard to a wheeldrive not being able to cope with more demanding conditions.
I fitted a wheeldrive to my B36 on the basis that a friend had one on his B37, though I’d not seen his wheeldrive in use. In friendly weather the autopilot on my boat will do the job, though it is quite noisy and intrusive. In poor conditions though it cannot cope, frequently giving up resulting in having to hand steer, such that I’m seriously considering changing it for a below deck system.

sailersal

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Match 35
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: March 13 2019, 03:55 »
I have an Autohelm wheel pilot on my 2005 deep keel Match 35 and it seems to work well as I sail it a lot by myself these days. I have had the boat over 12 years now.

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #6 on: March 14 2019, 06:42 »
I have a Raymarine Autohelm wheel drive on my '99 Bav 35E.  Seems good value for money.  I've used it in winds to 30 knots while motoring and its held well.  As mentioned here, it really depends on your intended use.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA