Author Topic: Service to Saildrive leg Volvo MD2020 engine  (Read 1509 times)

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Service to Saildrive leg Volvo MD2020 engine
« on: February 29 2020, 13:49 »
I have ordered my yard to replace the saildrive gaiter on my Bavaria 32.

The boat (new to me) is 17years old but I feel has had little use due to it's general condition.

I am retired now but when in work was into electronics servicing - not much mechanical.   On my previous boat I have done routine jobs like exchanging gearbox oil and engine oil and filter, replacing impeller etc but nothing more.

As the saildrive will be out of the boat, what other work could be done to it.   I have heard awful stories about barnacle build up and lubrication and cooling problems to the sterngear.

Any help much appreciated please? 

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Service to Saildrive leg Volvo MD2020 engine
« Reply #1 on: February 29 2020, 16:05 »
Blocked waterways is not really common - I have had saildrives for 20 years in both thee Med and UK and never had a problem. However worth asking them to flush the waterways as this is easier when the drive is out of the boat. Maybe inspect and if necessary change the seacock. The only other issue is water getting in the oil, usually through the seals in the lower housing wearing or being damaged for example by getting line or rope caught between the prop and the housing. They may well have to remove the lower bearing housing and prop shaft to get the drive up through the boat. This is an opportunity to inspect the shaft, bearings and seals, replacing at least the seals. Even if they don't need to take the housing off I would ask them to do it anyway. Other than that, if the oil is clean they are pretty bullet proof mechanically.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: March 02 2020, 04:10 »
Take photographs of the wires where they connect to your alternator, and put labels on each wire so that you have a record and proof of where each wire should connect.

When moving the engine to enable access for replacing the gaitor, it is necessary to disconnect the wiring from the alternator, and the guys who worked on my MD2020D put those wires back to the wrong alternator terminals. I was not present when that work was done on my boat, but running the engine later when I was able to visit I noticed that the tachometer was not indicating. A quick check around revealed some of the wires were connected to the wrong alternator terminals so I called the yard manager and a technician came and sorted things there and then. I was fortunate having spotted the problem, and the engine was stopped immediately. I don’t think any serious damage occurred, and the engine and alternator have run properly ever since the job was done about eight years ago.

artemis

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: March 02 2020, 08:41 »
Hi There

I had my sail-drive gator changed out 2 years back the other was the original from 2001 when it was removed it was thicker than the new one going in so just show's you. I never did you got a local marine Mech but it was a days work total. he also removed the sail-drive shaft to the propeller and replaced the seals on it on the bottom of the sail-drive you will see a hole open up a wire coat hanger of a bit of fence wire and poke it up to get all the crap out I also believe if you boats in the water you can remove the hose from the top of the sail-drive ball valve and pump vinegar down into the sail-drive this kills everything also the strainer in the heat exchanger remove it and flush it out and check each tube. There is plenty of posts on this form if you search it.

All the best

Mike
Artemis