Author Topic: Holding Tank access  (Read 2549 times)

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
Holding Tank access
« on: February 06 2019, 13:42 »
The picture shows my holding tank in 2016 Cruiser 37.

Does the black inspection hatch need a special tool to open it?. I have tried by hand it it seems very tight or maybe its sealed?

Any help greatly appreciated as I wish to check regularly for any build up of the 'white concrete'  ;D

Harry Brown

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Re: Holding Tank access
« Reply #1 on: February 06 2019, 13:46 »
Mine were tight first time I opened them.
I tapped them with a hammer and piece of wood and they broke free.
Clean the surround when you have them open and don't do up to tight, and they open up easy if you have the unfortunate need to go back in next time!

GeoffV

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: February 06 2019, 14:27 »
Mine were tight first time I opened them.
I tapped them with a hammer and piece of wood and they broke free.
Clean the surround when you have them open and don't do up to tight, and they open up easy if you have the unfortunate need to go back in next time!

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Just to check - did the thread have any seal at all?
I ask this as the level of fluid in the tank could possibly exceed the top of the access point.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 06 2019, 16:35 »
The access hatch has a coarse thread and is sealed with an O-ring.  If you can't easily undo it, consider making a simple wrench from a piece of wood with 2 lugs on it to sit in the slots.  If you smear some silicone grease on the screw thread and O-ring, it will seal well and should be easier to unscrew next time.

GeoffV

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: February 06 2019, 17:41 »
The access hatch has a coarse thread and is sealed with an O-ring.  If you can't easily undo it, consider making a simple wrench from a piece of wood with 2 lugs on it to sit in the slots.  If you smear some silicone grease on the screw thread and O-ring, it will seal well and should be easier to unscrew next time.

Thank you. You can understand my caution cos ‘her indoors’ would not appreciate the pong  :kewl

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 06 2019, 21:45 »
You're welcome!  But I don't see the fascination of looking inside a holding tank.  I have a 2014 boat, and I've never had the access hatch off the holding tank; as far as I'm concerned, the tank just works, so why bother looking inside it?  My previous boat, a Hallberg-Rassy, had a stainless holding tank with no access hatch, that wasn't a problem in 20+ years.