Author Topic: Epoxy protection to the " foot" of volvo saildrive 120  (Read 2440 times)

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Hi to all!
Due to a bad choise on an anode for the saildrive and after 2 seasons in the water, we noticed corrosion on the aluminium (i guess) case that is submerged, with the form of blisters. The local volvo dealer said that it survived but since is dry docking at this time, do you have any ideas of a material like an epoxy layer to enchance its strength?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Epoxy protection to the " foot" of volvo saildrive 120
« Reply #1 on: January 31 2019, 16:03 »
I would strip it all off (did mine with an abrasive drill nylon brush attachment), clean out any pitting and check how deep it goes. If there is pitting, fill it with International Watertite (underwater rated epoxy) and finally either coat the entire thing in a 2 part primer suitable for aluminium, or a 1 part aluminium etch primer, followed by antifouling.

Then make sure your anode is installed properly :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: January 31 2019, 20:54 »
Sounds like a good plan! Yes the previous owner used a no name anode , we installed a new Volvo one ! I was thinking to glass it with watertite or similar epoxy . 

Joe

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #3 on: February 01 2019, 08:11 »
I agree with Yngmar and just finished my saildrive. Completely removed all old paint by sanding (80 grid), then 5 coats of International Interprotect followed by 1 coat Hempels underwater primer and 2 coats antifouling (I used Velox Plus). Fortunately filling was not necessary. Now it looks like new.

Joe

Tikitikitwo

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria38
« Reply #4 on: February 02 2019, 17:31 »
I did as Joe 3 years ago when  i noticed two 15 mm round dark bubbles:  removed all old paint to bare metal sanding  with 80 and 120, then 7 coats of International Interprotect followed by Coppercoat, becuase i moved to coppercoat in 2013. Now the boat is ashore and the sdrive looks as new

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: February 03 2019, 16:08 »
Thank you all ! I ll do the same as your collective experience suggests so !