Author Topic: TV in forward cabin  (Read 3273 times)

WAArete

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
TV in forward cabin
« on: January 27 2019, 01:15 »
 Has anyone tried to add an electrical outlet in their sailboat?
 I had a 12volt Panasonic tv, dvd from the previous owner. Without much thought, I purchased a tv for Christmas. Any help here?
 Thanks,

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: TV in forward cabin
« Reply #1 on: January 27 2019, 01:35 »
Are you looking at a 12 volt outlet? If so, wire it into your light circuit. Our 12 v TV works quite well with this set up

240 V will have to go back to your 240 v Panel. From panel then down behind the setee ( on many models, behind the battery bank) then into the forward cabin cupboards.

Would need a layout of your boat to advise further.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Harry Brown

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #2 on: January 27 2019, 20:54 »
I ran twin 240v outlets to all three cabins.
I installed a small consumer unit behind the sofa and ran suitable cable to the cabins.
It a bit tricky running the cables behind everything but can be done, just time consuming.

Harry Brown

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007

WAArete

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: January 28 2019, 00:47 »
 Good to see so many replies after but one day. I didn't make myself clear, I would like to add 110 volt. Just another project for the springtime.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: January 28 2019, 06:50 »
I don’t know exactly how your boat is arranged, but my B36(2002) has a toilet or heads compartment adjoining the forward cabin. Within that compartment, and inside a small cupboard over the wash basin there is a European style two round pin mains electric power socket. Maybe you have the same. I connected into the back of that socket using what we call “Arctic” cable, similar to the type of cable you have for your portable mains supply lead that you use in a marina. I understand that it is important that you use flexible cable rather than non flexible domestic cable used for household wiring as the flex can withstand the boat movement and vibration better than the solid cores used in domestic cabling. I was able to take that cable from the back of the socket, and through an adjoining cupboard which contains the black water holding tank and connect it to a new domestic type of power socket fitted into the dividing bulkhead between the forward cabin and the heads compartment. If the socket needs to be on the other side of the boat then the cable could be lead through the storage area under the bunk and be kept out of sight.
Lastly, no I don’t watch TV while in the forward cabin, but it can get quite cold while staying onboard overnight while visiting the boat to carry out winter maintenance, and some of us who have nothing left to prove, like an electric blanket to take the chill off our sleeping arrangements ☃️

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: January 28 2019, 07:38 »
I didn't make myself clear, I would like to add 110 volt.

Still not very clear, but I will try.

First, I assume that the TV set that you bought has the mains cable plugged directly into it and not via some external "box", because the latter indicates that the set actually has DC input and it is a matter of finding what it is (typically would be in the range of 12-20 V) and selecting the appropriate converter.

If it is 110Vac
If you want to use it only under shore power, then as already suggested it is only a matter of adding an extension to an existing outlet on the boat, or running a new cable from the mains electric panel.
If  you want to use it under battery power then you need to add an inverter. The inverter should be large enough for the TV consumption (as a general rule I would purchase an inverter that is double power than the intended common use). Preferably it should be pure sine, although it is more expensive and the TV will also handle a modified sine type. Then comes the installation which will be different if it is intended for a single outlet that will only be served by the inverter or you wish to have your AC system fed either from shore or from the inverter (last option means some work around the mains power panel)
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004