Author Topic: Bavaria 38 Ocean & basic questions  (Read 20023 times)

LageB

• Swab
Bavaria 38 Ocean & basic questions
« on: January 01 2013, 13:42 »
Hello,

My first post.  Happy New Year to all of you  :)

When I was younger I sailed smaller boats, like 25 feet or so. Now my wife and I started thinking of taking up sailing again and also use the boat as our "summer house".

The marina we have mind as home base has a step in their fees between 38 and 40 feet boats so we are now thinking of limiting ourselves to a 38 feet maximum size. We started to look at the Bavaria Ocean 38 CC which seems to be a nice yacht, within our budget, that also have large aft cabin which we so desire.

I have many questions and I am very happy to find this Forum. To start with, for example:

(1)
Sailing 38 feet yacht is big step up for me. Is the 38 Ocean CC a size of boat that you can handle by youselves, single handed?

(2)
The 38 CC seems to have been produced between 1997-2000 and had two keel versions. One short=1.55m and longer 1.95m.  I don't think I have the need for shorter keel in the waters we will sail but I was just wondering if there is any sailing behaviour differences, or other differences between the two versions. Does anyone here have any views on that?

(3)
As a potential buyer, are there any specific points to be extra careful to check on this model?

Any other comments or experience, advice you may have on the 38 Ocean CC is greatly appreciated.  :)     

Many thanks in advance

Lage

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bavaria 38 Ocean & basic questions
« Reply #1 on: January 01 2013, 14:39 »
Hi Lage - Before we bought our Bavaria 40 Ocean CC (about 3 years ago) I owned an Island Packet 27 for about a decade.  It was a big small boat but still only 27'.  It didn't take much to get used to sailing a 40'.   The extra weight makes for a very nice ride.  I single hand our boat almost all the time with ease.  The only time it gets a little challenging is when the wind picks up over 25kts and I need to bring the Genny in myself.  I don't like there is only one winch for the Genny and the head sail furler.  I plan on rectifying this by adding a small winch next the the Genny.  There is a place for it but wasn't standard equipment.   then I won't have the Genny flogging hard while I quickly furl it in.  First I absolutely love our Ocean 40 CC.  As with most boats there is the good, the bad, and the ugly.   Bavaria's can be quirky boats. But if you get a thorough survey you should be able to tell what is wrong with it so you can make price adjustments and decide if you want to tackle the projects.  This is the same for any boat...not just Bav's.  I've included a link to another site that has a couple discussion s on Bav Ocean 38 CC's.  The 38 and 40 are very similar and have a great live aboard layout.   Keel size should be determined by where you sail.  I sail in area's that are between 6 and 12 feet most of the time.  A shoal keel was not a luxury for me.   With Hurricane Sandy devastating our area (65,000 boats damaged or destroyed) I'm told my sailing area bottom topology may be significantly altered.  A dozen years of GPS tracks and waypoints need to carefully reassessed.  Back to the 38 Ocean. 

A few points to check:
1 - Engine - Most people don't seem to like Volvo engines.   Maintain them properly and you'll get more mileage out of them.  They are not Yanmars.  the block is made by Perkins.  I haven't had any significant issues thus far.  Hopefully I didn't curse myself.   Have this professionally surveyed.
2 - Sail drive.  People are polarized on sail drives.  you either hate saildrives or don't.  I happen to be very pleased with their performance thus far.  you need to be mindful of galvanic corrosion since the sail drive is aluminium.   Yearly maintenance is a must.  I think a lot of problems stem from lack of maintenance because it's not always easy.  I pull the boat out of the water for the winter so that helps.  I drain the sail leg oil (a pain in the @#$, but I feel it is necessary) and replace it fresh.
3 - Every 10 years (approx) you need to replace the gasket on a sail drive.  I just did ours last year.  It's a big job but once a decade I'm OK with.
4 - Seacocks.  I have a 2001 Bav that had solid sea cocks and steel shut off handles.  What genius put a steel handle on a boat?  Since I plan on keeping my boat a long time I replaced all the sea cocks for my piece of mind.  I had a couple handles rust through.  This was a big job - you most likely don't need to do this but I'm a little retentive (OK a lot retentive). 
5 - Teak decks.  the teak thankfully is glued to the fiberglass deck so you won't get water intrusion like older teak decks.  Teak decks are a pain to maintain but do look beautiful and are great anti-skid.
6 - Steering and Rudder.  I've heard a number of people complain about the rudder bearings.  Search the net for more info.  I haven't had any issues with bearings (yet - I say that softly). If the boat steering feels tight make sure you look into it thouroughly. 
7 - Lot's and lots of systems.  Standard on many boats. A/C, radar, chart plotter, autopilots, lectrasan, etc.  They all need to be checked out. 

The Bav ocean series is heavier than the aft cockpit model bavs.  I believe they are an extra ton.  There is additional fiberglass and I don't mind that at all.  They ride beautiful and feel very stable even in weather.  They are well behaved.

Link to a thread on Bav Ocean 38s (good / bad / ugly) - lots of opinions.
http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=147611

If you have any questions just reach out.  Good luck and go sailing soon.

LageB

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: January 01 2013, 16:45 »

Hello njsail  :)

Thanks a lot for your reply. Much appreciated!

I am relieved to hear your opinion on single handling the 38-40 CC.

I think your check-points must be very valid ones, and applicable for most 2:nd hand boats. I will take your advise and study the issue of seacocks and rudder bearings carefully. I live in a "Volvo-country" (Sweden) and where I come from the Volvo engines have good reputation in general. I have read, as you already pointed out, that the Bavarian sized diesel engines such as MD22 are not actually Volvo originals from start but converted Perkin's ones  (have no idea if that is good or bad).

One idea I have, is if I could find very reasonable priced 38CC with heavy engine usage (maybe from charter) it might be one option is to simply put brand new engine in.

Again, many thanks for your advises and link. I will surely come back with more questions in due course.

Lage

MikeGowland

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #3 on: January 01 2013, 19:33 »
Hi, I agree with njsail's comments as I've had my 38 Ocean for 6 years and I love it, single or short handed its a dream to sail. Mine has a Volvo Penta 50hp and provided you look after it you'll get no trouble.

Just be a little wary of the in mast furling system, mine has vertical battens which take up more space in the mast and can be problematic. I've just replaced the teak decks with Permateek, maintenance free, non slip and looks good all year round.

Enjoy

Mike

njsail

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: January 01 2013, 19:54 »
Mike - I'm very interested in the permateak.  Right now I'm doing ok with the teak but I would be VERY interested to learn more about it.   Any info you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.  on forum or off line.  Thanks!

Lage - yes the Bav Volvo's are built on Perkins blocks.  Perkins is owned by Caterpillar if I remember correctly.  As Mike suggested - make sure to properly maintain your engine and it will take care of you.

Go sailing, have fun, live happily ever after.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 03 2013, 13:35 »
The Ocean 38 was one of Bavarias best boats. Sold well at the time, but decision was made to concentrate on the aft cockpit boats for the growing market in the Med. Just to add a few more comments. Singlehanding depends on how you moor. Sailing the boat is not a big issue, particularly if it has in mast furling. I have a similar 37 and have no problems. Berthing, however needs care because you are higher up in the centre of the boat. On the other hand the extra weight and depth means it is perhaps less affected by the wind. One advantage is that the boats behave very well in reverse - and you might find one with a bow thruster fitted.

The shallow draft will have an impact on windward ability, but stability id the same with a large bulb on the bottom of the keel. However, unless you did a back to back comparison you probably would not notice any difference.The original sails were not brilliant, but most will have replacements by now. The rig is pretty bullet proof, but probably coming up for replacement, or at least drop the mast to check all the fittings.

The engine, like all small recent Volvos is a Perkins base - in this case predating Caterpillar era and originally designed for British Leyland and used extensively in cars like the Montego and in light vans. Good reputation for simplicity and long life. Original installation would have been a fixed 3 blade prop and a folder such as a FlexoFold 3 blade is worth considering.

When the boats were new they were considered equal to Moodys (and cheaper), but below HRs etc - but the latter were 30-40% more expensive. Similar price differential now making them good value.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 03 2013, 18:36 »
I have the 36 with a fin keel and 6'6" draft.  Overall measurement is 37 1/2 feet!!  So first point is check what length the 38 actually is to avoid your Marina fee issue.  Mine travels as well in reverse as it does forward under power.  There is a small dead spot as you change direction from one to t'other so you need to allow for a couple seconds loss of steering whilst the water flows over the rudder.  Otherwise forwards or backwards, they just glide in and all I do is once stopped (or just about) flick it into neutral and smartly lassoo a cleat/pile amidships and pull her up tight and lock off.  Normally this is enough, but if the bow or stern is wandering off too far for you step off and get a second line on, I have a BT that just pushes me back in or out a bit.  But if you don't have a BT - no matter as you can just drive against the tied line and steer to force the boat into the dock, so you don't need it, its just easier.

njsail

• First Mate
« Reply #7 on: January 04 2013, 12:16 »
I have to agree with Ripster - the boat really handles beautifully in reverse.  I've done some tight reverse maneuvering with ease.

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #8 on: January 05 2013, 20:39 »
Just a warning about length.  Given that Bavaria call it a 38, you'd think that it was 38 feet long, woudln't you?  Well it isn't.  It's more like 40 feet and the marina will know it, so if the price step is at 38 feet, you'll get stung for the next price bracket up.  We have an aft cockpit version of the boat with the deep keel and the only thing I'd swop her for is the Ocean.......

njsail

• First Mate
« Reply #9 on: January 06 2013, 02:19 »
different marinas calculate length differently. some go by the documented length.  others go by the length on deck.  and others take the tape measure from the tip of the anchor or bow spirit and go allnthe way back to the edge of your davits or dingy hanging on davits. my last boat had an extra 3 foot bow spirit but itn cost me 3 extra linear feet whenever i hauled, blocked, docked or did anything by length. I had the bottom redone one year and they charged me for those 3 extra feet.  i tried to show there is no additional bottom with a bow spirit so why charge.   that didnt fly and i ended up grabing my ankles anyway (figuratively). find out how your marina calculates length.

LageB

• Swab
« Reply #10 on: January 06 2013, 11:48 »
Thank you guys for the advices on boat lengths and the marina charges  :)
I will take care...