Author Topic: Masthead light  (Read 2844 times)

Noaly

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
Masthead light
« on: January 01 2019, 18:25 »
Hello all. Recently acquired a well maintained Bavaria30 2006 and frustratingly I cannot get the masthead light to come on. ( anchor light ). Is there a trick? Or is it possible that the cable junction within the base of the mast is loose? Have thought of all sorts of fixes but there may be a simple solution that I have not considered.
Tim

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Masthead light
« Reply #1 on: January 01 2019, 20:02 »
Check where the wires come down from the mast into the cabin. There will be a removable panel fitted inside the main cabin at the base of the mast. Inside that area all of the cables have a join which will allow the mast to be taken down if required for maintenance/mast safety reasons, and hence the need for the cable joins. Photograph every cable join with your mobile phone camera before you start taking anything apart, no exceptions !!
Determine which wires lead to the mast head light, you will have one negative wire and two positives, that’s one positive for the tricolour, and one positive for the anchor light plus the common negative. Firstly before any wires are undone check that you have 12 volts between each of the positive wires and the common earth, most likely you will have. Next is to disconnect one of the positive wires, and with your avometer set to read resistance check that you have a circuit through each of the positive wires individually and back through the common negative wire, though not necessarily both circuits at the same time unless both are switched on. Here it is quite likely that there is no circuit, indicating either a faulty bulb (very common) or a poor circuit due to corrosion on the ends of the original wires (unfortunately also very common), or a combination of faulty bulb and corrosion.. Bavaria in their wisdom used to use ordinary copper wire for all circuits onboard, and this corrodes very easily in a salty atmosphere. Much better to use tinned copper wire.
You can try cleaning the ends of the wires at that junction point below the base of the mast in the hope that it’s just corrosion, otherwise it’s a trip to the top of the mast to check the bulb. If you’ve not done that before, then get someone to help you who has done it, and check, check and re-check that the halyard you or your friend will use to hoist them up the mast is in good and safe condition for the job, plus one more as a safety line.  Good luck.

Noaly

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: January 02 2019, 09:32 »
Thank you Salty.

Have already replaced the bulb at the masthead so suspect a dodgy cable connection. Have looked around for some kind of access hatch without luck. Will make more thorough search next visit. I& can’t find one I will contact Bavaria and get correct location.

Many thanks once again.

Tim

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 02 2019, 10:11 »
The location is obvious. Directly under the mast is a small panel in the headlining held in with screws under screw caps. remove the caps and screws and the panel comes out. You can't miss the wiring but will need to ease it out to find the connections which will be in a block.

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: January 02 2019, 11:23 »
I have just the same problem in the Moment, Bavaria 37CR 2006. I am able to measure the cables. Sorry bad english, it seems to be a problem in the cable, maybe its brocken. there ist nothing if i trie to measure from one part to the other now energy is getting thru,

I think I have to renew the cable next time I have the mast down

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: January 02 2019, 11:43 »
Have already replaced the bulb at the masthead so suspect a dodgy cable connection. Have looked around for some kind of access hatch without luck. Will make more thorough search next visit. I& can’t find one I will contact Bavaria and get correct location.

Did you check the old bulb you took out to see if that was working when you got it back down to deck level? This is important and will give you a guide on where or what to look for next. If the bulb is in working order then fitting a new (and hopefully working bulb) will not change the situation. On one occasion I had a fault which was not the bulb, and my avometer confirmed I had 12 volts present at the light fitting. It was corrosion of the wire ends where they join at the base of the mast which although it allowed 12 volts through to the lamp fitting, it did not allow an adequate flow of current (amperage) to enable the bulb to light up. Cleaning the ends of the cables to remove the black corrosion made a difference, but over the winter when my mast was down, changing the cabling for tinned copper wire made all the difference. There’s a firm in Glasgow called “Kojaycat” that sells a range of electrical fittings including some very competitively priced tinned copper wire.
As for the access panel to the area at the foot of the mast, on my B36(2002) it is a “U” shaped white plastic panel held in place with four screws as Symphony says, except I’ve lost the white plastic caps. The panel is about a foot wide by around 10” in length, so when you find it you’ll wonder how you managed to miss it before !!

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: January 02 2019, 11:49 »
I guess it is a common problem with boats of that era that did not use tinned wires - over the years they simply corrode inside throughout most of their length.
I already replaced my bow navigation light cable for that reason (it was a real pain threading it through the pulpit), and still have to replace both anchor and steaming light cables since they too do not work right now, probably for the same reason.
When checking wires do not do a simple "beep" test - check actual resistance. The cable may not be broken but due to corrosion substantial voltage may fall on it and not reach the bulbs. For that reason voltage reading will also not tell the true situation, since under no load the voltage is OK but once the bulb turns on and current flows, all voltage falls on the wires.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

sunshine

• First Mate
« Reply #7 on: January 02 2019, 12:17 »
On my 30, the connections are in the front cabin, not behind the panel suggested by symphony (that was where I looked first!). At the top of the bulkhead there are two cove shaped plastic panels, held in with loads of silicone. The connections are behind there. Mine were in the middle, so had to take both panels off unfortunately. If you want to be sure, look where the wires go through the deck, and check it is in front of the bulkhead.

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #8 on: January 23 2019, 15:49 »
I used the boat yard crane and a basket.  Just soldered a new cable to the old one and had my wife pull it in from the bottom.  It worked fine.  Soldering can be a pain because of the dirty copper,  but if that’s the case just strip it back far enough to knot it  I would use 3 core even if present cable is 2 core. Nice to have a spare.   Also used the old cable to pull in a spare 2mm feeding line.