Author Topic: B32 washboards  (Read 7742 times)

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
B32 washboards
« on: January 02 2019, 17:27 »
Went to the boat today to find that the top half of the perspex washboard has a diagonal crack running down from the lock to the right hand side.
I am guessing that this may have resulted due to constant closing of the hatch and where it strikes the top lip of the washboard.

So, I need to know what type of material it is and where I might obtain it from.
Needless to say I could buy direct from SVB but that would be very expensive.

Also, has anyone any experience on the fitting of the lock. It is a "Mobella".

Thanks

Fenders

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: B32 washboards
« Reply #1 on: January 02 2019, 18:19 »
Hi Fenders
Yep, mine's done exactly the same (and if you find a UK supplier, please let me know!). If you look at the inside face of the lock, you will see a hole with 'teeth'. Stick a flat screwdriver in it and turn one cog against the other (you'll see when you try it). It compresses a spring-loaded thingummy that holds the lock in place in the acrylic and allows the assembly to be slid out. Dead easy once you've done it the first time. I've been too busy to look around for a new once since I cracked mine but very gently prised the crack slightly apart and ran some superglue in there, which capilliaries quite a long way and helps support the thing until replacement. I was able to drill a little hole to stop the crack lengthening but it looks like yours goes edge to edge. Good luck.

Happy New Year, all...

*edit* just looked at your pic close up - you can see the teeth below the thumb-slider. Also, looking at the crack, I'd reinforce it L-R with a luggage strap to stop the side breaking off if the spring snaps back, it's quite strong and the driver can slip.
ATB

Mark

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: January 02 2019, 18:52 »
There are loads of perspex suppliers around that will cut you an identical washboard.  Google it. Theycan usually template directly from the original or a cardboard template you provide.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: January 02 2019, 21:22 »
The washboard is made from acrylic, and Ricd is correct in advising that there are plenty of plastics firms around that can cut you a new one using your original washboard as a template. If you want to glue the broken part back to the rest of it you could do a lot worse than to use Partite 7300 (MA300) available through ebay or directly from E-Tech in Alton, Hampshire. It’s a two part 50/50 mix and is a very strong adhesive. I used this adhesive when refurbishing my badly crazed portlights and deck hatches at a fraction of the price of buying Lewmar replacements. As adhesives go it is very strong indeed, but has a relatively short working life of around 20 to 30 seconds so you need to mix and apply it quickly. A dispenser and mixing tubes would set you back around £18 to £20, but that would be money better spent on getting a new acrylic washboard from your local plastics supplier and manufacturer.
You could make up a temporary washboard from plywood while you tout your acrylic washboard around for a price from your local plastics firms.

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: January 02 2019, 22:24 »
5 years ago I had to break my washboard in an emergency situation. This was very easy. Conclusion: also easy for robbery. I replaced it with polycarbonate (trade names Lexan, Macrolon etc.). This material is very tough and is used f.e. for safety windows. The material is more expensive than perspex but not sensible for cracks like experienced. Polycarbonate is UV sensible but in the brownish version this is not a problem. I use it already for more than 5 years. I cut the plate myself with a jigsaw using the original as a template. I repaired the original board temporary by glueing 5 cm wide strokes of perspex to the back of the board.

Ger

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 03 2019, 00:10 »
Another vote for polycarbonate rather than acrylic. Virtually unbreakable and well worth the extra cost. As already suggested there are plenty of on line suppliers who will cut to size, but I have always found better using a local signmaker who will machine to template and if organised in advance will probably do it while you wait.

Fenders

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: January 03 2019, 19:17 »
Thanks to all for your replies.

The corner piece is now loose and only held in place by the Mobella lock.
I have made a replacement out of an old piece of 10mm ply.
I will be down to the boat over the weekend and will be removing the broken washboard.
The plywood one will keep the weather out and provide a bit of security.
I shall take the old one to a plastics fabricator who has advised me he can use it as a template.
With your recommendations I have decided to go for polycarbonate.

For the sake of others who may have similar problems I will report back when finished.

Thanks again

Fenders

Jeff Jones

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #7 on: January 03 2019, 21:52 »
Fenders, am sure the plastic fabricator will know this - the crack will have started in corner of the cut out for the lock.

Large plastic sheets with cut outs are very susceptible to cracking from a leak point - square corners

Ask then to leave a internal radius corners for the lock cut out.

Polycarb is defiantly the way to go.

Fenders

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: January 04 2019, 08:28 »
Jeff,
That all makes sense and reminds me of the early metal fatigue problems with the DH Comet which had square windows. Cracks were developing from the window corners due to the pressurisation of the fuselage and led to many crashes. After exhaustive investigations the window design was changed to oval and no further problems associated with metal fatigue occurred.

Thanks for the advice regarding internal radius for the lock cutout.

Fenders

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: January 04 2019, 09:01 »
On my B32 I had the washboard  cut in two parts ( 60/40) with an angled cut, much easier to handle and store.

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: January 04 2019, 12:02 »
On my B32 I had the washboard  cut in two parts ( 60/40) with an angled cut, much easier to handle and store.

Did the same on my old 37, with a teak strip covering the join on the outside. Barrel bolts to hold the lower section in which effectively provided a raised bridgedeck. This was necessary on some models if the boat was coded for charter use as the standard step is too low.

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #11 on: January 04 2019, 14:48 »
Another option while you have to get something made...

I got so fed up with messing with the plastic washboards I had doors made. We liveaboard all winter so in and out of the boat all the time.

Used the same lock and fittings. The doors are installed just behind the plastic channels so I can put in the washboards if I need to as well.

See attached picture if you want a design....
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: January 04 2019, 23:02 »
Very neat. Similar to the factory fit on some recent models such as my 2015 33 except for the more substantial hinges.

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: January 05 2019, 00:08 »
Yes I like them thanks

Debated having pintel style hinges so I could lift off the doors and stow them while underway but actually found that they do not get in the way at all even in heavy seas so I like the sturdy piano hinges.
Ian

Susan Margaret

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 42
« Reply #14 on: January 06 2019, 09:53 »
Hi Fenders. Just a quick thought. Whilst replacing the washboards you might consider changing the lock or adding something else. I was broken into via the companionway where the intruder simply used a strong flat headed screwdriver and forced it open..

Bav32

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: January 06 2019, 11:20 »
Hi Kibo, do you have more pictures of the doors you have? I have been planning on makeing doors, but I have not found a way to still keep the washboards for example for longer periods of the boat.

Susan, I think the locks are for "honest people". If someone takes time to go to another persons boat with a set of tools, they will get in regardless how you lock your doors. Nowadays with battery powered tools it is really a childs play.

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: January 06 2019, 17:42 »
Here are some more pics   Sent you a pm too if you more
Ian

Bav32

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: January 06 2019, 18:04 »
Here are some more pics   Sent you a pm too if you more

Nice work. Thanks for sharing the pictures. :)

Fenders

• Able Seaman
« Reply #18 on: January 07 2019, 07:13 »
Susan,
Did you change your lock? And if so what did you use?

Kibo,
I like your new doors very much and I may consider that option but still retaining the washboards.
Did you keep the lock on the washboards or was it swapped to your new doors?
Just wondering if the hatch has enough reach to engage with the new doors that will be further aft of the washboards.

Fenders

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #19 on: January 07 2019, 11:35 »
The barrel lock is not up to a lot....  I’ve fitted a largish bolt to the opposite side of the washboard, which takes a padlock.  Small hole drilled in the hatch for the bolt to go through and it’s as secure as I want it.  A determined thief could get in by breaking then washboard but wouldn’t need to cause any further damage, whereas with the barrel lock a screwdriver would suffice.

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: January 07 2019, 12:45 »
Hi Fenders. I used the same lock taken from the washboards.

The P shaped  catch on the hatch was moved just a little and on my boat there is more than adequate travel reach so the hatch fits over the top of the doors and the lock is usable 

I don’t use the washboards at all now but if I needed them in a stormy seaway for example I can slide them in if I want to prevent swamping but I don’t use them for security since the doors do that job very well

I agree with the comments about the poor quality of the original lock but as others have said if someone wants to break in they will so I don’t worry about it too much.
Ian

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: January 07 2019, 22:49 »
Fenders. See attached photo
Ian

Fenders

• Able Seaman
« Reply #22 on: January 08 2019, 19:02 »
Kibo,

Thanks for the photo.
Looks a nice tidy job.

Regarding the lock. I was thinking that as I am replacing the washboards now would be a suitable time to change the lock if at all.
Jüst wondered what others had fitted.
As you say, if anyone was determined to break in then they will, usually with some brute force and ignorance.

Fenders

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: January 09 2019, 00:43 »
I guess if I was going to change the lock I would consider a hasp type with a padlock or a bolt as suggested earlier above but the materials you are bolting these locking devices to is only plastic and wood so they are the really weak points in the system, not the lock mechanisms. 

I do have friends who liveaboard full time and they have gone to security systems involving steel "cages" or bars over their companionways (and hatches too) but frankly if I need that level of security then I'd rather not be sailing those waters anyway ......
Ian

Fenders

• Able Seaman
« Reply #24 on: January 09 2019, 18:51 »
Kibo
My very own thoughts.
I had noticed on SVB that there is a metal version of the Mobella lock. It appears to be the same except that it has a different type of key.

Anyway, I will use the old lock.

Fenders