Author Topic: Smell of Diesel when Heeled  (Read 2856 times)

1simon

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
Smell of Diesel when Heeled
« on: December 28 2018, 18:44 »
Hi  All,

A few days ago , during a sailing session on my 1999 Bavaria Ocean CC 38,  in approx. 15knts of wind, i noticed a strong smell of fuel {diesel}, coming from below deck. A quick check in the engine compartment did not reveal any fuel leaks.

When i stopped sailing and got back in harbour i noted that the smell had dissipated and all but disappeared. This leads me to think that the odour is present when the boat was heeling (  approx. 20% angle).

Back in the harbour i could not find any fuel leakage, not any presence in bilges. I did note a small puddle (  saltwater )  in bilge in the aft cabin.

Does anyone have any similar experience of diesel odour when heeling? i will make a more thourough check back on the oat this weekend and would appreciate any feedback.

Happy New year to All!

Regards

Simon

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Smell of Diesel when Heeled
« Reply #1 on: December 28 2018, 20:43 »
Is your exhaust silencer still the original Volvo model, cylindrical rubber with stainless steel ends, and is it just starting to leak? The stainless ends are notorious for corroding away and leaking, and possibly the smell you noticed was exhaust smoke from a leaking end cover, and hence also a puddle from sea cooling water leaking through the same holes. Have a grope around the ends of the exhaust silencer for water just after the engine has been running but has been stopped. If it’s all wet in way of the silencer, then that could be your answer. Dry the area out and run the engine again before stopping and re-checking.
Beware of carbon monoxide if the silencer is leaking, hence the suggestion you stop the engine before carrying out an examination of the area.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #2 on: January 03 2019, 19:09 »
Hi... I'd check the fuel tank breather pipe connection on top of the tank. It could loose or popped off, either way when the boat heels some fuel could leak/slosh out onto the top of the tank. ....

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: January 04 2019, 00:01 »
Hi... I'd check the fuel tank breather pipe connection on top of the tank. It could loose or popped off, either way when the boat heels some fuel could leak/slosh out onto the top of the tank. ....

That or the filler hose next to it would be my first guess too.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)