Author Topic: VTR trough- hull thickness ?  (Read 2982 times)

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
VTR trough- hull thickness ?
« on: December 21 2018, 20:44 »
Hallo,
Can someonene tell me how Is the hull thickness I 'll find changing trough-hull on May 40 Cruiser m. y. 2008?
There  are not backing plates as standard.
Must I mount new Trudesign  trough-hull  with backing plates?
I think to mount  also collars to meet ABY 121 standards.
Tank you for indications

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: VTR trough- hull thickness ?
« Reply #1 on: December 22 2018, 03:36 »
If your boat is anything like my B36(2002), the hull thickness varies from one place to another. The average hull thickness may not be what you need to know rather than the specific thickness in the locations where you intend to fit your new through hull fittings. The existing hull fittings are easy enough to remove for you to measure that thickness at a time when your boat is out of the water, but what I can say about the Tru-Design through hull fittings is that they are more than adequately long enough to go through a modern glass fibre hull. Years ago glass fibre boats were considerably over engineered with hulls even on a 27 footer being in excess of one inch in thickness as I found on a boat I had that was built in 1969. Back then it was unclear how long a GRP hull would last, so they built it strong and added a bit more for good measure. The result was a boat built to last practically for ever.
Going back to your request for information, don’t worry about whether the new fittings will be long enough, the people who make them will have done their homework and figured out that if they weren’t long enough they would get a lot of return parcels. I have installed these valves and through hull fittings on my B36, and the only comment I have was that the fittings, particularly the valves themselves, were of a size that it was tricky to get them in without some imaginative thinking resulting in tightening the through hull to the valve after the valve was in place, and then tightening the internal collar for the through hull fitting last !!!
As for those backing plates, the through hull comes with a backing plate that is screwed up from inside the boat. The collars are up to you, I didn’t fit them as the fittings struck me as being of sufficient strength on their own and too complicated to fit in the very limited space provided on my boat. In addition and because of the very limited space, it is highly unlikely that I would want to attempt any modification that might impose any loading on those fittings - my choice !

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 22 2018, 15:21 »
Tank you very much. I agree to a lot of your considerations. I will try to mount collar also there are not much space. Can you tell me the thickness you found in the holes? To mount collars the skin fittings are to be shortened. Cal you send me images of your Yrudesign installetion by Wats happ? My number is 0039 327 8903426  Angelo, italy
Merru Christmas

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: December 23 2018, 02:44 »
1....Can you tell me the thickness you found in the holes? To mount collars the skin fittings are to be 2....Cal you send me images of your Yrudesign installetion by Wats happ? My number is 0039 327 8903426  Angelo, italy
Merru Christmas

1. I don’t know the hull thickness, I didn’t measure it because I didn’t need that information. At a guess I’d say it was somewhere around 10 to 15mm, probably nearer the 10.
2.  I’ll get some photos when next onboard (sometime between Christmas and New Year), and add them here.