Author Topic: Wanted Bav32 Main  (Read 2928 times)

Noble

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Wanted Bav32 Main
« on: December 12 2018, 07:02 »
Hi I have a 2002 Bavaria 32 with Selden mast. Looking for a non-furling mainsail. Can anyone recommend a place to source a used one or a reasonably priced new one?

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Wanted Bav32 Main
« Reply #1 on: December 16 2018, 22:02 »
Hi Noble
Welcome to the forum, hope it'll be helpful to you. Whereabouts are you based?
ATB

Mark

dgmultimedia

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 33
  • Boat Year: 2006

noblemetric

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: December 28 2018, 21:32 »
Thanks both. Sorry for the delay. I had trouble logging back in to reply. Boat is based in South East UK. I will certainly follow up with the company above. Does anyone have any recommendation as to what weight dacron should be in a main sail for a BAV 32? Looking at quotes for a new main from a number of sail makers, they are proposing varying weights from 7.3oz to 8.6oz. What should I be looking for?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: December 29 2018, 13:24 »
That is the correct range of weights - there is no "absolute". Expect the quotes are for different fabrics in the same price/performance range. There is a wide choice of fabrics, cuts, construction and if you are investing in a new sail then suggest you read up on the range of choices before making a decision. Most of the bigger sailmakers have useful guides on their websites plus you can always ask why they are recommending what they are quoting you for. A good thing about using a UK sailmaker is that you can have a meaningful dialogue with them to be sure that what you are buying meets your requirements.