Author Topic: Stanchion bases replacement (Bavaria 36 2002)  (Read 4423 times)

Kala

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Stanchion bases replacement (Bavaria 36 2002)
« on: December 10 2018, 22:18 »
Hi there!

I really need some help... I have to change 2 of the port side stanchions and also its bases... When I removed them I realized that the screws seems to have been put just perforating the fiber without any nut.. On the other side, seems impossible to arrive to the inside part without dismantling many panels and I am afraid to do that!. What should I do to fix those bases again?, just putting mastic into the holes and screwing again?, do I have to unscrew all the furniture to gain access where the bases are?.. help!

A picture of one of those bases before the extraction, maybe it helps

Many thanks!

Jeff Jones

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Stanchion bases replacement (Bavaria 36 2002)
« Reply #1 on: December 10 2018, 22:40 »
On my B43 2000.

There is a 75mm strip of plywood which forms the back / top corner in each of the cupboards.
These wood strips are held in with small wood screws and easily removed.
You can just see in the second pic the top of the cupboard is removed.

you just need to work out where the stanchion base is...

In the forepeak, remove the vinyl panels and you can just about reach the nuts.

In the head try to remove the mirror behind the sink

(Original pics from when I first got the boat)

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 10 2018, 22:54 »
On your boat you have in each cabin a line of lockers or cupboards located just below the level of the main deck. Look inside each one and at the part of the locker furthest outboard you will see in the upper corner two strips of plywood, one along the underside of the top of the locker and one along the inner edge of the most outboard part of the locker. Each strip is secured with two small screws which unfortunately were ordinary iron screws (on my B36(2002)), though that might have been something done by the boats original owner. Undo those screws and the two pieces of plywood can be lifted out. Wrap a strip of masking tape around each pair and write on the tape which locker they came from (the lockers are of differing sizes so you will need that information).
The stanchion bases are usually secured with long thin bolts of such length that some extra long socket spanner’s will be handy. You will need, someone to help you with this job, and some string to attach to any tools you use in order to recover the tools that get dropped down behind the backs of the cupboards. Remember to tie the string to each tool before you use it. Once the stanchion base has been removed, thoroughly clean the deck area that was below the base, and use a butyl self adhesive tape to bed the base on when it is renewed or returned. This is a time consuming and very awkward job to do, but once done it will cure any leaks from those bases.
IN PARTICULAR, ONCE THE BASES HAVE BEEN REBEDDED, ENSURE THAT NOBODY USES THE STANCHIONS AS A LEVER TO PULL THEMSELVES ONBOARD.
Tell them to hang onto the mast shrouds not the stanchions - on threat of hand amputation to everyone that ignores you !!!

Kala

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: December 11 2018, 06:41 »
Many thanks!!

I am a complete noob in this kind of works..

Any product recomendation to clean that area?
How should I fix the bolts?, nuts?, mastic?

Thank you very much for your help from Mallorca!

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: December 11 2018, 12:27 »
which unfortunately were ordinary iron screws (on my B36(2002)), though that might have been something done by the boats original owner.

Pretty sure that these were original equipment, they are a pain in the arse to get out if rounded off.
Replaced all mine with stainless after removing the shelf inners to get at windlass wiring.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 11 2018, 18:40 »
Many thanks!!

I am a complete noob in this kind of works..

Any product recomendation to clean that area?
How should I fix the bolts?, nuts?, mastic?

Thank you very much for your help from Mallorca!

The main thing in cleaning the area is to remove any mud or mould from the area both on the deck as well as on the underside of the stanchion bracket, and to allow it to dry. The Butyl tape used was about 3mm thick and not wide enough, but two pieces laid side by side were enough. Where the bolts were in good order I re-used them, or bought matching stainless bolts to replace any that were in poor condition. Next I used stainless “penny” washers (about 30 to 40mm diameter with a hole just large enough for the bolt. Get your assistant to put the Stanchion bases in place and to insert the bolts and to hold each bolt in place while you put a washer in place and then a stainless lock nut. Using some double sided adhesive tape on each washer enabled the washer to remain in place on the underside while you get a lock nut onto the end of each bolt. Having some extra long socket spanner’s will allow you to tighten the lock nut before the end of the bolt pushes the socket drive off the nut. Lastly I then went around each of the stanchion bases with a sharp knife or scalpel to remove the excess butyl tape where the tightened bolts had caused some of it to squeeze out.
It’s very satisfying when you’ve got them all done and now have a dry ship.

Kala

• Second Mate
« Reply #6 on: December 13 2018, 15:32 »
Thanks!

I’ve been told to fill the holes with mastic just before to screw and secure the bases... what do you think about that?

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 13 2018, 18:03 »
Thanks!

I’ve been told to fill the holes with mastic just before to screw and secure the bases... what do you think about that?

That’s what the Butyl tape does.

Kala

• Second Mate
« Reply #8 on: December 16 2018, 21:48 »
Many thanks, your help has been veeeery valuable!

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #9 on: December 31 2018, 05:11 »
For my 10 cents worth:-
The stantion bases leak because of corrosion tracks that lead to the fixing holes no doubt due to the galvanic effect of stainless/aluminum

I found it necessary to gently grind out the tracks to  bare aluminum and the build up the entire  base with ca 2 mm of filled epoxy. When set I sanded the base flat and planar with wet dry paper supported on glass. I re-drilled the holes, centered slightly smaller to leave an epoxy insulating border  and reinstalled the stantions with plenty of butyl rubber mastic in holes.

I hope this helps. A better design  by Bavaria in the first place would be better still.

Regards

Aquapore

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #10 on: January 02 2019, 19:01 »
From my experience the stanchion bases leak because the marina yard guys push on the stanchions to fend the boat of the dock when they are moving her for lift or launch rather than using roving fenders or pushing the hull at toe rail level.  Stanchions are designed to hold against forces involved by a person who is on the boat leaning on them to stop falling off the boat, they are not intended to work the other way around.