Author Topic: insurance claim against boatyard re lifting on saildrive  (Read 1835 times)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
My boat was lifted for a scrub end of last June. Hoist operator admitted it was lifted on the saildrive .
Started to get a minor oil leak told the boatyard but decided to monitor over the season . End of season boat lifted out and Volvo D130 engine and saildrive removed and dismantled.  Plate behind flywheel bent by 3mm . It had also moved so oil leaking from back of crankshaft bearing. Engineer will not guarantee job unless engine is completely dismantled and engine and saildrive  examined measured and backplate fixings crack tested . Will be as cheap to replace engine and saildrive.
Boat yard insurer Nav & General . While boatyard admit they lifted it they challenge the extent of the damage . If I cannot prove it then Nav & Gen  will not accept the claim. I have not as yet asked my insurer to fight my claim . But feel it is going to be inevitable. Engine is 4 years old with 500 hours . Nav Gen assessor says he needs a second engineers opinion as to the cause  . I am happy for this to happen . If I involve my insurance I will need to pay the excess and look forward to a larger premuim next year. Incidentally N&G assessor did not turn up for first appointment  has still not lodged a report with N&G after 8 days.
After I chased N&G they  spoke with assessor and authorised him to get a second engineer to look.
Anybody had similiar experience all advice gratefully received.

Regards Tony Revell  Pegatha

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: insurance claim against boatyard re lifting on saildrive
« Reply #1 on: November 15 2018, 11:33 »
Claiming off the third party direct (or their insurers) is a claim in Tort - that is you have to show negligence. This presumably has been accepted so now the question is the extent of damage that resulted from the negligent act and cost to put you back in the same position as you were. Inevitably they will question your claim and seek an alternative opinion - again they have done this. Nothing much you can do until you get that second opinion. If it agrees with your engineer OK, but otherwise you will need to consider what compromise is acceptable.

Doubt your insurer will pay more given the same reports, but the advantage is potentially less hassle. The difference is your claim is under contract which limits what they might pay - for example if they have a "new for old" clause you may well find you get less.

As always, it is the detail that is important and you can only decide the best course of action when you have all the facts.