Author Topic: TriColor Mastlight  (Read 2461 times)

WAArete

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
TriColor Mastlight
« on: November 10 2018, 22:36 »
My mastlight isn't terminated correctly.
The red and green leads are connected at the breaker. However, I see the white and black sit free. Any help as to where they need to connect would be welcomed.

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: TriColor Mastlight
« Reply #1 on: November 11 2018, 19:54 »
How do you know your mast light is not terminated correctly.  Is it working?   Is it the anchor light or tricolour?

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: November 11 2018, 19:56 »
sorry just noticed its tri colour!   Is it tri colour and anchor light combined ?

WAArete

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: November 12 2018, 18:29 »
 I had my Annometer (sp) replaced and wanted the rigger to replace the bulb. Well, I was told , no power at mast light. So, I opened up the lookout block and chased the wire that exits mast to the breaker box. And, that's where I see the white lead and black disconnected. I suppose I had only need to open the battery access and chase the ground to find its terminal blocks. As the electrical diagram looks greek to me.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: November 15 2018, 08:17 »
Just a thought, my Bav 39 only has an anchor light at mast, if your mast head light is just an anchor light then the un-connected wires maybe ready for a tricolour light if it had been fitted as optional extra. My nav lights are at the push and pull pits.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #5 on: November 15 2018, 08:49 »
Use a multi-meter on the two wires to check for a resistance that you would expect from a bulb. If you get that then connect 12v and see what lights up....

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: November 15 2018, 14:16 »
 I answered to  you in a different post where you placed the same question. Here again with a bit more details.

Assuming this is a cable that runs directly from your tricolor to the panel, the fact that there is a wire per each color + black suggests that there are 3 separate bulbs (or LEDs)  up there - one for each color, otherwise I would expect only 2 wires for a single bulb. If it is indeed a wire per color then red+green+white should be connected together to the breaker that is used to turn on/off the tricolor (I would assume this is the breaker otherwise used for deck level nav lights). The black should be connected to the minus bus-bar.

If it is a single bulb/led supply then you need to find out which are the two wires that are connected to it (I have a feeling that black will be one of them).
If bulbs are used, than as suggested an Ohmmeter can be used to confirm electric connection. If these are LEDs then an Ohmmeter should show a finite resistance when connected in one polarity and infinite resistance when connected in reversed polarity (infinite in both directions = no connection).
Once you know which wires are connected then one of them should be connected to the breaker and the other  to the minus bus-bar (if it is a LED it is important which goes where)
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004