Author Topic: 1999 Ocean 42 CC- deck leak? standing water in aft cabin, port side and more!  (Read 4727 times)

Shine

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 42
  • Boat Year: 1999
I'm a new owner of an Ocean 42 Center Cockpit based in Seattle. It has a few issues that it would be great to get some help on.

Last night I found about 1 gallon/ 4L of water just forward of the water tank in the aft cabin in a port bulkhead, close to the centerline. There were also significant water deposits (500mL) in other areas further port and closer to the deck. This may suggest water is moving down from the deck on the port side.

Other threads suggest the toe rail and stanchions as primary suspects: http://bavariayacht.org/forum/index.php?topic=1807.0
          Would you advise rebedding the toe rail and stanchions? If so, what sealants do folks recommend for the toe rail and stanchions?

In addition, there was evidence of both fresh and salt water in the forward cabin. The fresh water may be the same situation as above. The saltwater seems more mysterious.

Perhaps the previous owner was out in heavy weather and was taking bow waves that leaked in through the chain locker? Is this a common issue?

All help is most welcome! Thank you in advance.

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
     I had a similar problem on my B42  (not CC)   It turned out to be the fixing holes under the teak decking.  I think it was Yngmar that put in an article a few years ago with pictures of how the deck was laid up.  The ply under the teak is drilled and bolted to the fibreglass then apparently bolts are removed and holes filled.  This filler had failed on mine.   

Just found the article

Bavaria Yacht Help! / Ok, who the (*#$ has been drilling holes into my deck?
« Message by Yngmar on July 06 2016, 16:23 »

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Yup, look for those deck holes, and the stanchion studs will almost certainly be leaking and need rebedding. Mooring cleats were also leaking (along the bolts). Additionally, we had water coming in forward of the bow water tank where the filler hose passes through the anchor locker. I wrapped this with self-amalgamating tape and then gooped it real good with adhesive sealant, no more water coming in now.

Salt water could just be from a hatch left accidentally on vent, from a perished hatch seal or from the dorade vent not being closed - it does get overwhelmed when complete waves wash over the foredeck, as we found out.

Check around the transducers, although they don't normally leak.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Shine

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 42
Thank you both for the replies. I'll get to work.

I'll look for the decking article, I didn't expect that but it makes sense.

markleuty

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2003
We had a problem on our 40 Ocean where there was water coming into the port side. Someone on this forum suggested that it was in the deck/hull join and it was. Had to take the rubbing strake (if that is what it is called) off and lo and behold there was this very small hole which we put some sealant into and now it has stopped

it's kind of hard to see from the photo. White bit at the bottom is the hull , wood at the top is the toe rail. and you can just see the whole where the two are joined together.

Mark

WAArete

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
someday we must catchup. I'm a new Bavaria owner(2003-36), presently at the Canadian border in Blaine, WA....

blue bear

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
I have a 38 ocean CC which had an identical leak. I went through the usual suspects, portlights, stanchions. But the leak was still there, bad as ever. Every time it rained there would be water collecting in the port side storage next to the water tank. The leak was at the port side, aft hull/deck joint, which is accessed by removing the teak rub rail. It was obvious where the leak was due to insufficient sealant from the factory, but dry as a bone after applying a bead of sealant.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Keep in mind also that water can travel some distance from the point of entry such that finding the leak can often test your patience very considerably. When the leak occurs behind panels, it can be useful to use the camera on your mobile to photograph the area behind those panels to see the direction of any water stains.

On my B36(2002) the foot of the bunk in the aft starboard cabin in way of the centreline bulkhead was getting wet. This was several years ago, and after removing the panels to allow access to the steering cables one day after some overnight rain, it was noticed that on an electric cable at a low point there was a tiny bead of water. This was above, although not directly so, the area where the bunk was getting wet. The water was dripping off that cable into the area directly below the starboard side steering cable where it then travelled aft to the transverse cabin bulkhead where it ran down the corner joint between the centreline bulkhead and the transverse bulkhead which separated the cabin from the steering compartment or lazarette.

But it didn’t explain how water got on to that cable in the first place. After some searching I found that water was leaking through a screw hole in the sugar scoop transom where it dripped onto that cable. Later when dealing with the problem it was found that the screw hole was used to secure a rectangular plastic cover in place, but that screw hole had become enlarged over time to the extent that you could stand back ten paces and throw the screw into the hole !!

The point I’m making is not to assume that a possible entry point some distance away from where the water collects, is not the problem area.

Robert Spikins

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria ocean 38
I HAVE A 1999 BAVARIA OCEAN AND NO LEAKS APART FROM SALT WATER FOUND IN THE SECTION BETWEEN THE WATER AND FUEL TANKS. AFTER MANY HOURS I FOUND THE EXHAUST OUTLET CLIPS NEEDED TIGHTENING SOD TO GET AT BUT THEY BOTH TOOK OVER TWO TURNS AND NOW NO LEAK AT ALL.
IF YOU TASTE FRESH WATER  SUGGEST THE INSPECTION HATCH SEAL ON THE WATER TANK MIGHT CONTRIBUTE TO A SMALL LEAK WHEN TOPPED UP. I PUT CLING FILM OVER BOTH THE BOW AND STERN TANKS AND THEN REPLACED THE SCREW DOWN  INSPECTION HATCH NO LEAK.
GOOD LUCK
ROBERT

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
Where would one purchase a replacement dorade?

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
Where would one purchase a replacement dorade?

Depends on the exact shape of box you need but a quick search on google for “dorade box” pulls up plenty of options.  Can’t be more specific without knowing what you’re looking to replace.