Author Topic: Tell Tails on Shrouds  (Read 4625 times)

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Tell Tails on Shrouds
« on: November 06 2018, 07:12 »
I've noticed, particularly on 'French' boats, that they very often use 'tell tails' tied onto mast shrouds at eye height. I take it these are used to indicate wind direction onto the main sail - but am not sure. If they are, would they be more effective than wind instruments and would there be a variation in wind direction at sea-level v. mast top that would make a difference - especially to a 'cruiser'?

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
Re: Tell Tails on Shrouds
« Reply #1 on: November 06 2018, 10:14 »
I have used them since my first small boat that only had a compass. Simple, effective and very little to go wrong.

Its at a convenient height in your sightline as you scan around - whats not to like!

You can use it to compare with the upper wind especially if you have a tall mast and windex, but for the average cruising sailor with often an overloaded boat it wont have the same effect on your actions as on a racing crew.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: November 06 2018, 11:00 »
Great - thanks  :)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: November 06 2018, 11:41 »
I have been playing with similar idea in the middle of spinnaker pole - would make it perfectly easy to adjust the pole perpendicular to wind.

This is a mod I will try next summer - this summer I just managed to fly the kite about three times.

Tommi
s/y Anniina

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #4 on: November 06 2018, 17:45 »
Like GeoffV, I've used them on all previous boats, racing or otherwise and especially with our Contessa 32 - no electronics, just compass, trailed log and hawk so very useful for quick confirmation of back-of-the-neck wind shifts (especially poled-out on a run). I put them on Figaro but don't use them as much as I should. Returning to sailing after 20-odd years, I was really surprised at how few boats nowadays have them. They're so useful and easy; as G says, what's not to like?
ATB

Mark

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: November 07 2018, 18:31 »
this summer I just managed to fly the kite about three times.

Show off!
That's about 3 times more than the average spinnaker on a cruising yacht  :o

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #6 on: November 08 2018, 06:49 »
Show off!
That's about 3 times more than the average spinnaker on a cruising yacht  :o

Have to admit - 1 out of those 3 was a combination of training and showoff. Had committed to produce a colorful wall-size photo, so had to fly the kite just for the photo in conditions I would normally have just motored the longer transfer leg. But it resulted in a stunning showpiece in our living-room.

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #7 on: November 08 2018, 17:42 »
I can't wait till I can afford another cruising chute, this boat has never had one (still has the factory mousing lines in the mast!) and I did love flying it (on rare occasions) on my last boat, although I suspect that this one is going to be a bit more of a handful.