Author Topic: 1st outing - happy bunny.  (Read 5586 times)

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
1st outing - happy bunny.
« on: October 15 2018, 14:05 »
The new to us B36 2002 was on the hard when we purchased and had her surveyed, the surveyor indicated that he could see no good reason for a sea trial as it was in lovely condition throughout.
It was with some trepidation that we departed the marina in the Hamble on Sunday - with the aim to make it back to the home mooring in Portsmouth, maneuvering in a tighter space than I was really comfortable with 15 knot winds, driving rain and a very nervous skipper (me).

However, we escaped the marina unscathed and chugged down the river, slowly increasing the revs to a giddy 3 knots until I got used to it and then up to an adrenalin rushy 4 knots. (Historical reference: old boat did about 4 knots flat out under power in similar conditions). Out into Southampton water and visibility was down to bugger all, nav lights on (thank heavens we changed the bulbs!) and into waves and wind.

Wow.. it was in that moment that I knew I had made the right choice, after all the nagging doubts about bigger boats and issues - the stability and grace that she displays was leagues ahead of our last boat. Arriving in Cowes an hour earlier than I had planned (using old boat figures for reference) against the tide - which, has to be said, was in itself a minor revelation (being able to go against some tide) seemed to be so much easier than we were used to - in conditions that would have kept us moored up usually.

Mooring was not a huge challenge and after a nice lunch, set off for home mooring.

We put half the genoa out to test the sailing and with rising winds was all we wanted to use, but enjoyed it tremendously - achieving speeds that we could only dream about with the old boat under similar sail plan and so much less lateral movement and rolling. Actually able to be in the red zone and still go forwards.. how cool is that!

The winds increased to 30+ knots as we entered a deserted Portsmouth harbour and made our way up river, taking up a new mooring in very windy conditions into a slot was challenging but we did it in one go as she ferry glides sideways backward so easily!

All in all a fabulous first outing, not the longest time - but certainly challenging - and the boat simply didn't care and looked after me so well I was over the nerves within minutes.

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1999
Re: 1st outing - happy bunny.
« Reply #1 on: October 15 2018, 16:43 »
Sitesurfer

You never said model and size! But yes the Bavaria is a strong and safe boat glad you enjoyed your first sail of many.

Mick

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #2 on: October 16 2018, 07:47 »
Awesome!  Glad it went well for you. 
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #3 on: March 26 2019, 23:43 »
Bit of an update, got the sails up properly first time this weekend.. discovered that the need to reef early wasn’t just old wives tales after broaching and rounding up several times.

But oh my.. after a bilge keeler this boat is a joy, upwind sailing over 7 knots with minimal sideways action, wonderful.

I’ve achieved passage times that I didn’t think were achievable this weekend, I expect it will become normal soon but I think I’ll enjoy it whilst it’s new 😁

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: March 27 2019, 07:43 »
It's all about the genoa on these older boats. The main just adds balance and a bit of slot effect in the lighter stuff.

You'll find that it will go faster reefed and upright than it will over-pressed.

Have fun.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 27 2019, 23:04 »
Well done. As IslandAlchemy says it is the large overlapping genoa that is the driving force. with my old 37 of the same era, I had a foam luff put in the genoa and once there was any decent breeze, put in 2 rolls in which made no difference to speed but increased the range of wind speeds before another sail reduction was required. As I had a furling main the next reduction was in the main, but less than a normal first reef. This was comfortable until around 20 knots. If I had kept the boat I think i would have replaced the genoa with a smaller overlap.

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #6 on: April 24 2019, 15:10 »
Did a lot of sailing last weekend, mostly in wind between 10 - 20 knots, realised that the first reef was pretty much what we used all the time with the genoa rolling in and out to suit.

The genoa does not overlap the mast - so does that mean it's not overlapping or is it a phrase to describe a particular style?

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: April 30 2019, 15:04 »
The genoa should come quite a way past the mast, maybe 3 or 4 feet behind the shrouds.  If your doesn't then someone has put a working jib onto the boat, which won't give you anywhere near as much drive in lighter winds, and will also give the boat a tendency to turn up into wind if you let go of the wheel (especially if you have the whole main up).  Maybe this is why you are finding that sailing with 1 reef in works better for you.

You should aim to get the boat balanced going upwind to the point where you can let go of the wheel and it will just carry on in a straight line without you touching it.  Have a play and see if you can achieve that (it is only whilst sailing upwind though).

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #8 on: June 28 2019, 14:45 »
No the genoa does not come past the mast - it appears to be the one that came with the boat (same manufacturer / sail bag etc as the main).
It reaches just about to the mast and certainly not overlapped.

I've now settled on reefing at about 15 knots, i would imagine that the boat could cope - but the crew doesnt want to..

Taking your point on board, no chance of her not rounding up in wind - i have to hang on to the wheel like crazy to avoid it.

To be fair I was assuming that the genoa was smaller as it was the fractional rig and more modern sail plan with a bigger main, clearly not!

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #9 on: June 28 2019, 21:02 »
The manual for the Bavaria 36 from 2002 clearly shows the standard overlapping Genoa of the J&J design era, around 140-150% I'd say: http://bavariayacht.org/downloads/manual/Bavaria%2036%202002%202003.pdf

Also a photo:
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #10 on: June 29 2019, 19:43 »
Hmmmm ok, I must have a non standard Genoa then, may explain a few things.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #11 on: June 30 2019, 04:55 »
The manual for the Bavaria 36 from 2002 clearly shows the standard overlapping Genoa of the J&J design era, around 140-150% I'd say: http://bavariayacht.org/downloads/manual/Bavaria%2036%202002%202003.pdf

That’s exactly the set up on my B36(2002), and while my Genoa is not the original sail, it was made to the same measurements as the sail it replaced.

artemis

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #12 on: July 01 2019, 09:09 »
Congratulations with your new purchase and welcome to the forum.

Rgds
Mike
Artemis

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #13 on: July 07 2019, 21:32 »
Following the embarrassment of the heads pipimg, yes the Genoa is 150%..@..