Author Topic: Conversion of in mast furling to sliders - possible?  (Read 3597 times)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Conversion of in mast furling to sliders - possible?
« on: September 24 2018, 15:36 »
The Selden mast has a groove at one side of the furling slot but from the looks of it this should be only used as a backup or for trysail.

Someone once told me that there  is a kit that can be installed somehow on the slot to convert it to sliders - but I never found this on the net.
Anybody know if this is at all possible?

Main reason for looking into this option is not performance but rather the reliability of operation - had to furl once in a 40kts Meltemi gust - it was not easy, and the sail got slightly torn in the process.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Conversion of in mast furling to sliders - possible?
« Reply #1 on: September 24 2018, 21:40 »
You can just rivet a track over the slot, or over the groove. You'd then have to install lazyjacks, get a new sail or severely modify yours with slugs or cars and have reef points installed. Then you need to modify the boom for slab or single-line reefing, change the line routing, install a whole bunch of extra turning blocks and clutches and deal with all the problems with that system.

Probably much simpler, and certainly cheaper to deal with the problems of the system you have and continue using it. If furling is hard, you need to service the in-mast furling gear (the winch and gears at the bottom as well as the top swivel), check the rest of the system for stuck turning blocks, worn/baggy sail, broken outhaul car (ours had a broken wheel) and make sure you're using it correctly.

We have often furled or reefed our in-mast main in high winds and it's been working fine, although you need to pay attention to the boom angles, let the sail come in from the port side and not have it powered up. When I got the boat, the in-mast furling had never been serviced and was very hard to use, after servicing the sail is easily furled by hand in most conditions, just like the Genoa.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Lyra

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 25 2018, 06:33 »
I guess you are right.
I have no problems with the furling under most conditions, it is just in these situations that I described, which are not uncommon in my sailing area, that I would prefer a faster method for dropping the sail, but the effort is not worth it.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

artemis

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #3 on: September 25 2018, 19:05 »
Im with yngmar on this one I would not go to the expense of doing any modification's.  This winter take down the mast and service the gearing and its a doddle furling the main as long as the booms centered.

Rgds
Mike
Artemis

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #4 on: September 26 2018, 06:16 »
+1 agreeing with Yngmar.

The only reason and route for changing to non-furling I'd see would be to consider changeover based on added benefit of more sail area and more trimming capabilities (cunningham). If this was the target, I'd be searching for a traditional mast cruiser willing to swap his mast to a furling unit.

Tommi
s/y Anniina - B40 2001 w/ furling main.

Lyra

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: September 26 2018, 12:20 »
This winter take down the mast and service the gearing

Where I sail it is sailing all year round and winter is probably the best sailing season.
Will probably do it the next time I take the boat out for antifouling.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Neil

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: September 26 2018, 14:14 »
I have sliders and single line reefing and managed to tear my main while reefing in a blow, so switching from a furler may not be the answer. I would consider changing to a furler in the future due to it being easier and faster for single handed operation, though all my experience is with more traditional reefing.