Author Topic: Water intrusion  (Read 6615 times)

JVS

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Water intrusion
« on: September 13 2011, 14:29 »
It seems, when I'm heeled over to the point my toe cap is in the water, I'm getting water inside soaking clothing and other stuff.  Anyone out there have a similar problem? Any suggestions?
"Wasting Time In A Serious Way"

vikinglish

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B 37C
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Water intrusion
« Reply #1 on: September 17 2011, 09:24 »
There must a specific place that you notice the water coming in?? Does it happen heeled both to port and starboard? Never had a drop in from anywhere apart from chainplate deck fittings which were solved easily.

JVS

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: September 25 2011, 23:15 »
It seems to be coming in midship, but when the boat is healed over I'm behind the helm.

I think I'll have to remove the teak toe cap and see what I find,,  Maybe next year!
"Wasting Time In A Serious Way"

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: October 06 2011, 09:43 »
I had a leak on port toe rail and was collecting rain water in bilges.  Traced it with hose pipe to toe rail screw threads.  Extracted about 10 by 1cm and re-tightened them with a blob of clear silicone...perfectly dry now for two seasons.  Might also be source of your leak when healed

Monique

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: October 18 2011, 18:21 »
I have ports along the mid hull area.  Check the seal and their tightness.... now checked religiously before sailing

I also had a loose water tank cap and it leaked lots of water when heeled.

GL

peter gibbs

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #5 on: December 08 2011, 23:34 »
It seems, when I'm heeled over to the point my toe cap is in the water, I'm getting water inside soaking clothing and other stuff.  Anyone out there have a similar problem? Any suggestions?

Windows, mast base, staunchions, cleats - all require systematic inspection. If it's the deckplate to the rigging, you can probabaly reseal this at deck level rather than slacking off the entire rig - although in extremis this may be required (I got away with deck level sealant alone)

The price of a dry interior is constant vigilance - but you knew that already, I guess!

PWG