Author Topic: What is your best improvement on the boat and why?  (Read 1693 times)

Cabtrack

• Cadet
Re: What is your best improvement on the boat and why?
« Reply #25 on: November 16 2018, 09:04 »
The most recent improvements is the folding cutting board for cleaning the fish, keeeping the mess out and the 25mm stainless tube handrails, could not stand the wire. The biggest improvement was epoxying around the companionway to get rid of the squeaks, absolutely no squeaks in this Bavaria. 

SYJetzt

• Cadet
« Reply #26 on: November 23 2018, 21:32 »
really impressive handrails!
I think i need something too :)
how did you attach the tubes to the stanchions?
Did you get new stanchions or did you adapt the present ones?
Did you do the job yourself or with a metalworker ?
How did you get the tubes so perfectly bent ?
If possible post some photos from the details !

Thx
Robert
SY Jetzt!

Cabtrack

• Cadet
« Reply #27 on: November 24 2018, 04:40 »
Hi Robert
             Thanks for the kind words. Yes I made it all up myself and this is how I Did it.
  1. Put a string line from the pulpit to the push pit where the hand rail will go. Measure from the string line to the stanchions at 90 degrees to the to the string line. Do the same for port and starboard.also mark the string line at each point where the stanchions are at 90 degrees to the string line and measure.
2. Measure from where your hand rail will start and finish at either end of the string line.
3. Draw a straight line on a long flat surface and measure the distance for each stanchions then measure out the distance to the stanchion.
4. Use a very long straight edge to scribe an arch that disscects all the stanchions and the start and finish.
5. Tig weld all the lengths of tube together allow a bit extra. Make sure you purge the tube as you weld
6. I made a roller to roll the length in a curve see photo. Make sure you roll it pretty close to what you have marked on the floor.
7. The had part is to bend the tube so it hits the push pit and pulpit rail at 90 degrees.
8. I used the same stanchions. Cut the top of the stanchion through where the wire goes and file to fit the tube and it gives you a bit more meat to weld too. Try not to put too much heat in when welding as the stainless distorts easily.
9. Cable tie the tube to the stanchions and fit ends to push pit and pulpit with hinged tees.
10. Weld it up if it looks good.       
11. Use the lever in the photo to take out distortion gently.
I shall take some more photos and post them. Hope this helps

SYJetzt

• Cadet
« Reply #28 on: November 26 2018, 07:35 »
Hello cabtrack,

you did a great work !
It seems to be a bigger job than expected and the pipe roller bender is an extra project too  ;D

Due to the fact, that our boat is over 700 kilometers away from us, the project needs to wait until next spring.

Do you have any experience about the stability of the tube handrails and the whole construction, if hit when manouvering?
In our harbour basin two bigger charter companies operate a lot of boats and the da**** charter crews caused a lot of damages on our boat (3 bent stanchions, torn wires, and 4 loosened stanchion bases in only two seasons  :'(.
i´m afraid of welding all parts together, and if hit anywhere, i have to replace the whole railing including stanchions, pulpit and pushpit (means doing the job again!).
Any suggestions?

Cabtrack

• Cadet
« Reply #29 on: November 26 2018, 08:49 »
Hi Robert
             Yes probably a good idea to leave the wire on or find a quiet marina. We are at a quiet marina no traffic and no charter companies. Spend the money on more fenders. Col

Noelio Abrunhosa

• First Mate
« Reply #30 on: December 09 2018, 13:20 »
 i have taken some ideas from Odysseus. the ones i enjoy are
1. fitted a proper shower with a tmv so temperature is constant regardless of any other taps being opened.
2. fitted a timer on shower bilge pump. i didnt have enough hands to hold the shower, the soap and press the shower bilge pump
3. fitted led lights in engine room
4. fitted cockpit table (great for summer sundowners)
5 . this is my favourite one. made 2 openings under front bed , one fitted sliding basket drawers and the other one a waeco freezer.
this job now only needs to fit the trimwork to make my skew cuts look tidy

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 16:40 »
This weekend I'm trialing the first fit of a Raspberry Pi control centre (that's about the only way I can describe it) into my B36.
I'm using a 7" touch screen to provide environmental and boat data, create lighting systems and act as a data logger.

We'll see how it gets on  ;D

I made a small video on the progress, which shows the super simple (but not gopping) interface - aimed at crew being able to use it rather than being super techie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO3Ik1AIfPA

Bav32

• Cadet
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 19:46 »
This weekend I'm trialing the first fit of a Raspberry Pi control centre (that's about the only way I can describe it) into my B36.
I'm using a 7" touch screen to provide environmental and boat data, create lighting systems and act as a data logger.

We'll see how it gets on  ;D

I made a small video on the progress, which shows the super simple (but not gopping) interface - aimed at crew being able to use it rather than being super techie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO3Ik1AIfPA

That is exactly what I have been thinking of. I haven't tried raspberry, but I have worked with arduino a little bit.

Here is what I was planning to do:
- outside/inside temperature
- fridge temperature (and maby control)
- bilge water level alarm
- battery voltage meter
- motion sensors inside boat for alarming
- gps for anchoring and tracking
- internet access for monitoring and alarming remotely

This is all supposed to be installed in a way that I can remove everything easely if I would sell the boat at some point.

We really should start an own thread about these systems :)