Author Topic: Anchor roller and bowsprit  (Read 6140 times)

Bav32

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2004
Anchor roller and bowsprit
« on: May 22 2018, 10:59 »
I'm not sure if it is called a bowsprit, but let's call it that now. Here is what I'm talking about: http://www.batsystem.se/en/products/gpat100/
It is a bowsprit with an anchor-holder/-roller.

My question:
If I get one of those, can I then take out the orginal anchor-roller in the front? I don't want to end up with a boat looking like the anchor is hanging loose in a weird way(see attachment: bowspritwithanchor2.jpg). I don't want the anchor-roller to be unused either (see attachment: idontwantthis.jpg. In the attachment called this-is-what-i-want.jpg the anchor is set nicely horisontally with the bowsprit. This is something I would like to have on my boat. What on earth do I have to take into account when I buy and install one of those?

If I can't fit the anchor on the existing anchor-roller and have to use the bowsprit's own roller, then is there any place to buy a new plate to the front without an anchor-roller?

Eagerly waiting for reply's and hoping that my attachment's work :)

Stockie

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Anchor roller and bowsprit
« Reply #1 on: May 26 2018, 11:06 »
Yes I agree that set up incorporating the anchor is nice.  This is what I ended up making myself.  I raised the bowsprit to avoid the anchor.  My only worry is the loading son the bowsprit under anchor, but I guess it needs to be strong enough to hold a Spinaker anyway!
I need to work out a bob stay before I try sailing a spinnaker!
Cheers Richard

Bav32

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: May 26 2018, 15:48 »
I saw your pic in another thred. I'm not sure I would like to raise the front even higher because I have to enter harbours front first quite often (we have a pretty shallow harbour). I feel like our bow is high enough already and it is difficoult to attach the boat at my own

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: May 28 2018, 13:48 »
I have a "Båtsystems" bowsprit in our B40 (2001). The end of the anchor rests on original roller, while the main load is carried by the roller in the bowsprit.

I think the geometry will depend also from your anchor model, so you may need to make cardboard mock-ups to see how things align.

My bad photo attached (try to take pic standing on deck without dropping the phone..)

Regarding the height: You can also install a cassette ladder under the bowsprit - planning to do this myself this season.

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: June 06 2018, 10:18 »
Looking at your picture the chain angle to the windlass looks quite severe.  Has that caused any issues?  I have a vertical windlass that states max angle chain/gypsy is 5 degs. yours looks more like 30 degs.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: June 07 2018, 07:37 »
No issues so far with the chain angle during two (..short Scandinavian..) seasons. The design is by the previous owner (or his yard), to it looks like the chain follows the original route, just extended to the bowsprit from the end of the original roller.

smaugi

• Swab
  • Boat Model: BavariaCruiser33
« Reply #6 on: July 22 2018, 08:18 »
Hello Bav 32,
do you have a solution for your problem now ?
If not here my solution for Bav33
I have installed it this spring.
bye
Christian

Bav32

• First Mate
« Reply #7 on: July 22 2018, 11:29 »
Hello Bav 32,
do you have a solution for your problem now ?
If not here my solution for Bav33
I have installed it this spring.
bye
Christian

Hi Christian,
I ordered a bowsprit but it never showed up. My vacation started so I have not had time to order and install a new one. I'm going to order one later this year and install it during next winter.

Thanks for the photo, that looks really nice! Is it a båtsystem bowsprit?

smaugi

• Swab
  • Boat Model: BavariaCruiser33
« Reply #8 on: July 22 2018, 14:48 »
Yes ist is the  PB105 in black with a ladder.
It was no problem to install it, but I had to replace the original "anchor guide roll?" (don't know the english word), because when I first used the very long original-bavaria part, the anchor stands up 30 degree.
So I asked a metalmorker to build a new one, which is as short as possible with a new roll.
My original CQR-anchor was to wide as well. So I replaced it to with a Kobra.
I'm very happy with the bowsprit, especially when sailing with my gennaker mounted at a top-down-furler :)