Author Topic: 390 Lagoon Rudder bearings  (Read 2787 times)

390 Lagoon

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 390 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1992
390 Lagoon Rudder bearings
« on: January 03 2018, 09:54 »
I have been in contact with Bavaria looking for rudder bearings for my Lagoon 390, but looks like the don't make the upper bearing anymore so have no idea how to replace the set at the same time?

Any advice you may have how I can replace this set ?

Dear Mr Wood,
I apologise the late reply and thank you for your interest in our products. The upper rudder bearing is no longer available. We only can deliver the lower one. Please find below the requested offer:
1 x 30789      Rudder bearing, 85 mm, B 370 - 390.                       48.00  EUR

Service Team Bavaria Yachtbau <service@bavaria-yachtbau.eu>

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: 390 Lagoon Rudder bearings
« Reply #1 on: January 03 2018, 11:51 »
Jefa will make you one if you give them the dimensions, although it'll probably cost more than that (but their roller bearings are very good). Beware of the 25% Danish VAT.

Or if you're happy with a simple (non-roller) bearing, any good workshop with a lathe can turn you one from POM stock (aka acetal, Delrin).

On my boat, the lower bearing was seized in the housing, but the upper bearing totally fine, so I only needed to replace one. Very happy with my Jefa rollers.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #2 on: January 07 2018, 11:47 »
Hi .
 We have a Lagoon 38 of a similar vintage. The rudder bearings are bushes on ours, so I take it your 390 will be similar
Over the years we have replaced the bushes twice. It's quite simple.
  The bushes are 'Delrin' not nylon, so simply measure the outside diameter of the bush and order Delrin rod. (online probably nowadays)
Than ask a local machine shop to accurately measure the diameter of the rudder stock and machine the Delrin rod to a nice fit.
The bushes should last 10-12 years.
  If you have roller bearings then unfortunately Jefa, as suggested is the way to go....................Bill

390 Lagoon

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 390 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1992
« Reply #3 on: March 20 2018, 16:52 »
Could I ask the bearing you removed was is the cylinder Bearing type (push in and turn over?) or a roller bearing ?

Not sure what to order as I have not take if off yet so have no idea what it looks like?