Author Topic: AIS  (Read 1741 times)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
AIS
« on: March 06 2023, 15:08 »
My Bavraia 36 is 20 years old and does not have an AIS system.

I have two VHF radios, one that is built in is an old type, the handheld VHF (ICOM IM94DE) is new and has a built in AIS receiver.

I use a tablet with navionics for navigation.

In this way, they can only receive information about surrounding vessels.

What is the cheapest way to become AIS visible?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: AIS
« Reply #1 on: March 06 2023, 16:34 »
The absolute cheapest way is to add an AIS fishing net locator from Aliexpress, about €100 with shipping from China. From what I understand, they do not receive AIS, only transmit, but you already have a receiver. I wouldn't really recommend doing this though, it's not really a good solution, just answering your question for cheapest.

The cheapest "proper" solution is either the Matsutec HA 102 or em-trak transceiver (€250). You'd then replace either VHF radio with that, probably best the older one. Might need to clip a few mm off the top of the antenna to tune it for AIS (fitting a new one also works, but isn't cheapest!).

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 06 2023, 17:43 »
You need a way of displaying the rata and most transponders output NMEA 0183 or 2000 to go to a chart plotter. To get the data onto your tablet you need wifi and this means a multiplexer to convert the signal. There is a dedicated wifi transponder but that needs either a pc or a 5v power supply to power it.quark-elec.com/product/qk-a051t-wifi-ais-transponder/ About the same price as a basic NMAE transponder.

An alternative is this  bluev.co.uk/product/onwa-kp-39a-7-chartplotter-with-built-in-class-b-ais-tx--gps-patch-antenna-4m-cable-4913-p which is a similar price and you get a fully functioning chart plotter as well. This link is a UK dealer but you can buy direct from China if you are prepared to take that risk.

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: March 07 2023, 20:02 »
Thank you very much for your answers.

I am usually in waters for which I do not need AIS, but now I recently heard that when crossing through the territorial sea of Albania, their police do not search boats that have proper AIS, i.e. they can already detect through AIS that they are not smugglers.

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 08 2023, 06:28 »
Note to myself: set my AIS ID to "I'M NOT A SMUGGLER"  ;)