Author Topic: Stern/transom bumper  (Read 4307 times)

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
Stern/transom bumper
« on: November 08 2017, 11:09 »
I'm sure this must have been asked before but I can't find it via the forum search.....
The stern/transom bumper on Rampage has suffered from one too many knocks and dings, so I need to replace it.  I've brought a piece of the original home with me from Greece, thinking it would be a simple matter to spot it on the internet.  Only it isn't.  Other than SVB (from Nigel's helpful link) does anyone know of a source for the bumper channel?  SVB have the bumper but it only comes in 5 or 10 metre lengths and is eye wateringly expensive to boot. Lots of help on here about how to fix it in place once you've got the stuff!

Second, related question.  I managed not to make a note of the length of bumper I'd need.  Anyone got a 2000 Bavaria 38 close to them so that they could measure the length of the bumper?  I'd hate to source the material buy it and then discover I'd either bought far too much or (worse) just too little.

Boatname

Re: Stern/transom bumper
« Reply #1 on: November 08 2017, 15:53 »
Hi, there are several Bavarias out of the water now in our yard in Gosport.  I’ll be down there in a few days and see if any are 38s.

Clipper Marine on The Hamble should be able to help you sourcing the part ... possibly with the length too.  https://www.clippermarine.co.uk/boat-services/spare-parts

Rampage

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: November 08 2017, 17:48 »
Hi, there are several Bavarias out of the water now in our yard in Gosport.  I’ll be down there in a few days and see if any are 38s.

Clipper Marine on The Hamble should be able to help you sourcing the part ... possibly with the length too.  https://www.clippermarine.co.uk/boat-services/spare-parts

Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out for your response if there happens to be a 38 in the yard!

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: November 08 2017, 20:46 »
hi. i will be at the boat tomorrow will measure it for you

regards
Abby

Boatname

« Reply #4 on: November 12 2017, 17:26 »
OK, only a 36 and a 40 in the yard but both with the same transom as my 34.

It was wet, freezing and dark ... I was actually standing in a puddle so these measurements aren't atomic  :)

The 36 is 154 inches long and the 40 is 162 inches, which surorised me but I double checked the figures.

Sorry, don't do metric.

Hope this helps

Steve

Joe

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #5 on: November 13 2017, 07:43 »
Hi, length of the transom bumper on my 38 Ocean (1998) is 4,20m.

Regards
Joe

Rampage

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: November 14 2017, 10:13 »
Brilliant!  Thank you all very much for this, which means I can buy the bumper with some confidence that a 5 metre length will fit!

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #7 on: November 15 2017, 14:50 »
Slightly off the OP's subject but still regarding the rubbing strake around the transom, I eventually got round to cleaning mine. It was heavily stained with green/black matter and probably never been attended to.
Anyway, having read a few threads here on the matter I tried a couple of the recommendations. Unfortunately all but one failed to make any impact on the discolouration and staining. So, having searched through my garage, I stumbled across an old bottle of T-Cut.
I tried that with one of those small abrasive sponges and I couldn't believe then end result. I am well pleased with it even though it took nearly 2 hours balanced off the stern over cold water.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 15 2017, 15:44 »
Just read your old post re Fuel filler on Transom. Do I understand that yours is deck mounted?   My B32 (2003) is mounted on the transom or are you saying that the o ring caused a leak on a transom mount?

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #9 on: November 15 2017, 18:53 »
Moody Mike

I am guessing your previous post was meant for me regarding the fuel filler.

If your filler is on the transom, then I envy you!!!!!

My Bavaria 32 is a 2004 model. On my starboard rear decking abeam the rear winch is the fuel filler cap assembly. On my transom I have the water tank cap, port side, and on the starboard side I have the shore power socket.

I think it is a poor design to have the fuel cap flush mounted on the deck in an area that receives at lot of water either when keeled over or runoff from the forward decking. I have noticed that on some other Bavaria models the fuel cap is mounted on the transom which is a much better location.

I have had a huge problem with water ingress into the tank. I have since found a mod for this problem. The manufacturer, Perko, make a plastic ring that fits around the top of the filler pipe assembly. This elevates the filler cap above the deck and so allows water runoff to flow past the cap. I have monitored this problem since fitting the mod and so far there has been no sign of any water ingress, despite al the bad weather we have had recently.

Boatname

« Reply #10 on: November 15 2017, 21:07 »
Slightly off the OP's subject but still regarding the rubbing strake around the transom, I eventually got round to cleaning mine. It was heavily stained with green/black matter and probably never been attended to.
Anyway, having read a few threads here on the matter I tried a couple of the recommendations. Unfortunately all but one failed to make any impact on the discolouration and staining. So, having searched through my garage, I stumbled across an old bottle of T-Cut.
I tried that with one of those small abrasive sponges and I couldn't believe then end result. I am well pleased with it even though it took nearly 2 hours balanced off the stern over cold water.

Awesome. We have got close to that (we being my wife  :kewl ) using Jif (Cif) and a so-called magic sponge  ... white block, thoroughly recommended to get off scuffs elsewhere.