Author Topic: Elvestrom Sail  (Read 4907 times)

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Elvestrom Sail
« on: May 05 2017, 17:33 »
Hi all

Any one seen this (or seen one out on the water - the backdrop looks like Calshot)...?

http://www.ybw.com/expert-advice/new-elvstrom-sail-blue-water-runner-downwind-cruising-51762?utm_campaign=20170502_YBW-X_NWL_EO&utm_medium=email&utm_source=ET

Although I'm not in the market for a new sail, it looks like it could be quite useful for single-handing.
ATB

Mark

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Elvestrom Sail
« Reply #1 on: May 06 2017, 08:02 »
Looks very good Mark. Wonder if my current GX10 could be adapted to take this?

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 08 2017, 07:42 »
Seems to work like a twizzle rig without the poles.

Wonder if it is likely to collapse like a spinnaker and wrap around the forestay!!!

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #3 on: May 08 2017, 13:09 »
Seems to work like a twizzle rig without the poles.

OK, I've got to ask - what's a twizzle rig, Craig? I feel I should know, having owned a cutter-rigged gaff yawl some decades ago (more bits of string than a kitten's toy!).
ATB

Mark

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 09 2017, 23:43 »
There are a few Utube clips about twizzle sails. They are basically two headsails goose-winged but instead of a couple of spinnaker poles holding them out, they are attached by poles to each other. They appear to be more stable downwind than poled out headsails.

I had never heard of them either until about 5 years ago when an English sailor, John from a boat called "Hoorah" gave a talk in Marmaris about sailing 3 oceans in 3 years. He used a Twizzle sail for the entire ocean crossings he did. ( Guernsey to Brazil, to Cape Town to Perth to Sri Lanka, back to Cape Town, then Brazil and home to Guernsey. )

John's boat was a Hallberg Rassy, 42 I think, and his talk centred on timing ocean crossings well ( Follow Jimmy Cornell's recommendations) and using the Twizzle for comfort and safety. The boat stays more upright using this style of rig.

I'm also interested in seeing the Elvstrom sail operational, particularly in larger ocean swells. I'm not sure how it would work compared to goose-winging 2 headsails or the twizzle sail. Your post has gt me thinking.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #5 on: May 10 2017, 09:46 »
Hi Craig

Thanks for the info. I should have thought of youtube. At first sight, the Elvestrom looks to be somewhere between a jib and a spinny in terms of cloth weight so heavy weather would be for the very brave. In lighter winds, though, I imagine a couple of whisker poles (or a twizzle of course) would make it very controllable. Looking at the vid, I can't see how it could be used without some kind of bowsprit, which I don't have on Figaro. That would make it prohibitively expensive for me. Pity.
ATB

Mark