Author Topic: 2008 38 Bav Cruiser Headsail dimentions?  (Read 3465 times)

solar

2008 38 Bav Cruiser Headsail dimentions?
« on: February 22 2017, 20:09 »
Hi.
Can anyone please advise about the above?
I'm looking for a new one and don't trust my old stretched out sail dimensions for ordering a new.
Also any advise about materials for a new sail for a very relaxed cruising boat? So many options out there...
Many thanks.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: 2008 38 Bav Cruiser Headsail dimentions?
« Reply #1 on: February 23 2017, 15:48 »
Best thing is to get specific quotes from sailmakers. They will almost certainly have the standard dimensions on file, but you may want to alter those. A local sailmaker will also come and measure your boat and most will discuss your requirements before making a recommendation. This is particularly true with materials and construction as there are many options.

Useful to browse sailmaker's websites such as Crusader, Kemps, Sanders etc as they have a lot of information on the choices plus templates for measuring your boat. Having this sort of knowledge in advance will make your discussions with them more productive.

solar

« Reply #2 on: February 24 2017, 10:04 »
Thank you for your input but I still would like to have the dimension's of my OEM sails in my records.
Surly someone have them?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: February 24 2017, 10:34 »
Suggest you ask Clipper Marine the UK dealer. as I said most sailmakers will also have the dimensions so you can ask them when you are asking for quotes. The OE sails are very basic and many people do not replace like with like in size, cut or cloth.

solar

« Reply #4 on: February 27 2017, 08:10 »
Thanks again.

Would like some input from cruiser skippers who changed their headsails to new.
Anyone tried the far east sailmakers?
Did you keep the 150% OEM size? Cut? Cloth material? Price? Etc.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: February 27 2017, 11:26 »
I've got a new Genoa from Sanders last year. They had the dimensions in their database and they were accurate for my boat. I've also sent them the old Genoa to confirm and so they could check what modifications the new one might benefit from (chafe patches, etc.). Peter Sanders is a very knowledgeable chap, and also shares some of this on his website. Do have a read through the section on fabrics, if not the whole site: http://www.sanders-sails.co.uk/materials.htm

I went for a high quality Dacron in cruising weight (DP AP Blade 360). It was this or a Vectran upgrade, and that would've been quite a bit more. His prices were very good compared to boatshow offers from other major UK sailmakers (some of which tried to oversell, which put me off) and only slightly above the far eastern quotes I've got, if you add the shipping and taxes that you will end up paying. Very pleased with it. I did go for the foam luff, and I do believe it's worth it, unless you plan to sail only in conditions that don't require reefing :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: March 02 2017, 10:56 »
I have a laminate no 3 , which should fit ,for sale see for sale section , it is extremely strong , and ideal if you fancy a non over lapping sail , its dimensions are quoted in my advert , im open to offers too , a considerable saving on an as new condition sale originally costing £2000.00 ish

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #7 on: March 02 2017, 11:00 »
Out of interest too is the fact that most sails shrink rather than stretch in use over time , im an irc and rya sail measurer and its well known within these circles , top racers measure their sails 2 or 3 times a season to get allowance on their ratings for shrinkage , spinnakers can stretch in half widths but shrink in luffs , fore and aft sails generally all over , but particularily in luffs

solar

« Reply #8 on: March 03 2017, 07:16 »
Thanks again.
I'll go for a new one...taking quotes.